In England They Do Fake Emergent Driving In Public!

robert gift

Still not 100% what he is getting at, but I know in the UK, ambulances routinely practice simulated emergencies as part of their driver training. This involves runs with lights and sirens with no patient. Their driver training involves a little more than what is taught in CEVO, and a comercial vehicle license is mandatory.

Perfectly legal, and much safer than having your first EVER emergency run with a patient in the back (something I have always found a little dangerous). Not to mention the real-time feedback given by instructor sitting beside you. Police and Fire do it to.

The OP here, and on you tube, is displaying yet another example of showing the inability to see further than their own borders.

Taking your logic a little further, do you think it is right that military aircraft are allowed to practice simulated / fake operations in the skies above (some of) our homes?

No.

Military aircraft should NOT practice above populated areas.

Likewise EV's should not practice in public.

What do borders matter?

It is wrong here and wrong there.

You can easily rehearse, figure out, practice what to do through normal driving.

My English friends resent these "Joy Rides", as would I.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Military aircraft should NOT practice above populated areas.

Likewise EV's should not practice in public.

What do borders matter?

It is wrong here and wrong there.

You can easily rehearse, figure out, practice what to do through normal driving.

My English friends resent these "Joy Rides", as would I.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Personally I think it is wrong, dangerous, and just plain stupid to go chasing tornados about, and a lot of my American friends agree.

However the next time you go spouting off about what is legal or not legal in certain European countries (as you have been doing on youtube over the past 6 months, and making yourself look pretty dim in the process) at least have the decency to get the geographical location right. Hint - the ambulance wasn't in England.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Personally I think it is wrong, dangerous, and just plain stupid to go chasing tornados about, and a lot of my American friends agree.

However the next time you go spouting off about what is legal or not legal in certain European countries (as you have been doing on youtube over the past 6 months, and making yourself look pretty dim in the process) at least have the decency to get the geographical location right. Hint - the ambulance wasn't in England.

You are quite correct about chasing tornadoes!

I chase tornadoes because the voices in my head tell me to!

(I have never met a red-blooded American who would not like to do it. Even my Chinese wife likes it.)

But in chasing tornadoes I am not needlessly

-endangering others by speeding,

-barging through red signals taking right of way from deserving others,

-inconveniencing drivers to move onto shoulders or up curbs where their tires can be damaged, (Imagine that truck getting a flat tire from a nail for nothing!)

-disrupting traffic flow,

-possibly causing minor collisions between others' vehicles,

-annoying citizens with noise forced into their homes and businesses, etc.

When I was learning to fly, I stayed over open farmland.

(When chasing, for the safest and best views, I stay southwest of tornadoes.)

Would be interesting to knowhat other English citizens think if they knew about these moronic joy rides.

So that particular ambulance was not in England?

What does it matter?

The principle remains the same.

It is needless, hazardous, "malpractice".

Military aircraft do practice over civilian areas. When Floyd Bennett Field was Naval Air Station Brooklyn, almost every weekend, the Reservists flew over my house as they practiced "Touch and Go", landing just long enough to put wheels down on the runways, and gun it to take off again.

Then, there was that incident a few years ago, where a jet doing "live fire" training was way off target, and shot some holes through the roof of a school in New Jersey. It was at night, and the custodians on duty were not injured.

Military aircraft do practice over civilian areas. When Floyd Bennett Field was Naval Air Station Brooklyn, almost every weekend, the Reservists flew over my house as they practiced "Touch and Go", landing just long enough to put wheels down on the runways, and gun it to take off again.

Then, there was that incident a few years ago, where a jet doing "live fire" training was way off target, and shot some holes through the roof of a school in New Jersey. It was at night, and the custodians on duty were not injured.

They SHOULD NOT fly over civilian areas if possible.

But now there are fewer open areas and they cannot avoid it because housing has spread everywhere.

Then the new residents have the audacity to complain about the decades-old airfield they moved next to.

Did not a crash recently occur north of San Diego?

But that may have been unavoidable because the houses were on final approach.

Both to avoid needless noise pollution and crashes in populated areas, they should get (fly) away from populated areas as soon as possible.

I agree with Scott that this kind of training seems not only appropriate, but necessary and should be done more often around here.

The idea of this kind of training is to drive lights and sirens while taking the adrenaline out of the situation. New drivers need to relax and worry more about the road than the patient. Practicing without a patient at first helps work towards that goal.

As far as whether L+S saves time/lives, I don't know. I imagine it depends where you are. When it is rush hour in the city I work, lights + sirens can save me a half hour or more. At night when there aren't any cars on the road it probably makes no difference at all.

I agree with Scott that this kind of training seems not only appropriate, but necessary and should be done more often around here.

The idea of this kind of training is to drive lights and sirens while taking the adrenaline out of the situation. New drivers need to relax and worry more about the road than the patient. Practicing without a patient at first helps work towards that goal.

As far as whether L+S saves time/lives, I don't know. I imagine it depends where you are. When it is rush hour in the city I work, lights + sirens can save me a half hour or more. At night when there aren't any cars on the road it probably makes no difference at all.

FAKE runs should NEVER be done. There is no need.

We practiced emergent driving just by imagining what we would do at various intersections, congestion, interstate on and off ramps, etc., as we encountered them.

So easy. Every drive was a rehearsal.

We would NEVER do fake emergent runs, even when participating in MCI exercises and transporting PTs to hospitals.

If I ever encountered a fake emergent run, I'd sign a complaint and have a ticket issued to the driver.

Years ago, I actually did witness such and the police went to the volunteer firefighter's home and cited him.

Just before the court appearance, the DA kindly called and suggested I not make the trip to court.

He said he believed every word of my complaint.

But the driver and his passenger would lie that he did no such thing and two against one would win.

One can overcome their adrenalin just by discussing and being aware of it.

If I ever encountered a fake emergent run, I'd sign a complaint and have a ticket issued to the driver.

What is it you are not getting about the fact that this is mentored, regulated, controlled, and required practice in some countries? Take the UK for example, this is the standard practice of emergency driver training for NHS staff - the government run healthcare system. NO LAWS ARE BEING BROKEN! The police would laugh in your face if you were to try and report it over there. It is the way the course is SUPPOSED to be taught. Not like the fast-track "but he is the chief's Son" crap I have heard of over here.

You are continually displaying your insular and blinkered viewpoint, and as a self-proclaimed "jolly volly", have little to be vocal about. At your own admission, your experience is very limited. As for inconveniencing other road users - do you think there should be a law against filming movies / TV reenactments with ambulances and firetrucks using lights and sirens? I see it a lot in Manhattan. Would you report some "extra" to the police for driving the vehicle?

Your argument is flawed, immature, and tantamount to Trollism.

Not all Countries EMS systems live in such fear of litigation, that their training and education are restricted to the degree it is in the US. Why you have such a hard on about it is anybody's guess. Personally, I would be far more frightened when a 21 year old child, with no experience of driving under emergency conditions, gets a flap on for their first ever call, than I would with someone who had met the GOVERNMENT REQUIRED, minimal competencies in emergency vehicle operations - and all that entails.

The biggest danger from running FAKE emergency runs is desensitizing the public to the siren. They hear it so often, it blends into ambient sound and they will soon ignore the BRT on their bumper who is actually trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.