Gaining confidence in the field ?

I'm having trouble building my confidence in the field. I'm precepting as a medic student and I've been running a ton of calls. I've been spending a ton of time on the trucks ... however I have no real confidence in some of the decisions I'm making. I can handle BLS calls with no problem, I'm okay with chest pain calls and trauma calls and arrests ... rather ... I know what to do and I usually do it on most calls .. however I second guess myself as to if I'm doing the right thing in the right order at the right time. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me build my confidence? I want to be a good medic and do the right things for my patients, I really do ... I just wish I felt more confident.

What I like to do is read the protocols on the way to the call. A lot of times though you run into something completely different than what you're dispatched to. Then you just wing it.

At least there was a chance to study a protocol and most calls are BLS anyway. In Memphis, most calls are BLS without the L.

What I like to do is read the protocols on the way to the call. A lot of times though you run into something completely different than what you're dispatched to. Then you just wing it.

At least there was a chance to study a protocol and most calls are BLS anyway. In Memphis, most calls are BLS without the L.

I used to do this all the time as well. I still do, especially when going to peds calls or something that I haven't done in a while.

You're not the only Medic student who's in that boat. I am now 2 months and 1 week from finishing medic school. I just started my ride time and I feel as if I am truely not ready for the street, but I do have 280 more hours of ride time.... I am ALLWAYS second guessing myself. I guess the confidence will come with time. Good luck!

Confidence is a time consuming process. It is aided by second guessing yourself. That is a good reflex. Only as long as it doesn't impeed your final decision. Second guessing makes you rethink and be sure you did not miss anything. No amount of sage wisdom can give you confidence. Only repeated contact with the unknown can prepare you for the constant confrontation with it. You sound as if your on the right track. Just give yourself the time needed to allow the things you do to become second nature. Then you find that you calm down and can take in more of the situation naturally. This is my 23 year and I still have butterflys in my stomach on every call, but you'll never see that.

Here's my sage advice.

I always told my students, when you step out of an ambulance, you're Superman and the lone Ranger rolled into one. If you can't fill those shoes.......Don't get out. The patient must have almost instant confidence in you for you to do your job correctly. Confidence in yourself takes time, so you have to be a duck. Calm above the water, paddling 90 miles an hour underneath and never let the patient see you sweat.

That and 50 cents will get you a drink from our fridge.

Have a good day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.