when does the rush go away?

ouch-sc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't talking at you, I had the screen open since 0852.. I just didn't reply till 0945... In fact. I never even seen your reply.

I took it that you were talking to me but your note does put some onus on me to have clarified my position. It was the negative coming out in me but then again, I do understand what your comments were though.

thanks for the insight. as for skills with 20 calls a yr it's hard to keep sharp so i ride with the county 1-2 times a month which helps some. I enjoy the setting yet the call volume is lacking. I find it hard to even put myself in the same cat. as you guys with all i'm lacking. and after 5yrs i still feel like i just got my card.

nice head on your shoulder there Ouch, My advice I think would be to try to get hired on with the service you are riding with. They know you so you have an advantage.

good luck on your future endeavors.

I find it hard to even put myself in the same cat. as you guys...

As you should. Your post was a little unorganized, which is expected when your new, yet a bunch of experienced members felt the need to jump in and act like assholes but you still decided to come back with a positive post. That certainly puts you in a completely different category than nearly everyone in this thread. I have a lot of respect for the fact that you even came back to this discussion. It shows a commitment to contribute and a willingness to ignore the ignorant in order to try and learn, I like that a lot.

You do what you do, the fact that there are people that can tell you that they do more...that doesn't mean they do it better, or with more honor or dedication. If they do medicine with the complete lack of logic that they’ve used to respond to your post then I’m guessing you’re a much better provider despite your low number of calls.

... with all i'm lacking. and after 5yrs i still feel like i just got my card.

Yeah man, I'll do you one better. I've not been doing this as long as you, and I sometimes feel like I'm about 4 months prior to getting my card. One thing that I've discovered is that it's easy to keep your knowledge and skills up when you’re busy, as well as bullshit arrogance, as you've seen here, but friggin hard when you're not busy!! Just make sure you watch out for that.

I've not been doing this long enough to answer your question for myself, but I can tell you this; I work with akflightmedic, who's been doing this for a few days. He's done a lot, been everywhere, and he still runs to jump in the truck to go on calls. He seems to be excited about EVERYTHING! Loves the medicine, loves the patients, finds a way to get something from, and give something to every partner. We have medical discussions/arguments nearly every day, most days several times, and nothing makes him happier than if you make him say, "I don't know...."

I've found his commitment to his craft, and people in general to be unusual, and I'm not sure that you'll still feel the 'rush' if you don't share it with him. But if you do? I can't see any sign that you need to be worried about the thrill going away.

A piece of advice, meant friendly? People judge you here by the way you present yourself in your post. Be careful of your capitalization, use the spell checker, and NEVER hit the submit button without rereading your thoughts at least once, ok?

Welcome to the City brother. Sorry for the idiotic responses to your post.

Dwayne

Dwayne, your passive agressive nature is showing again.

But for the original poster, what Dwayne says is true. I've known dwayne for about 2 years or so since he came to the city and I think we might have ran him off if he wasn't so damn stubborn and kept coming back for more. Remember the scene in Animal House or some movie where they were being spanked by the wooden paddles and kept saying "Thank you sir, may i have another?" That is our dwayne. Love him or leave him though.

You can learn a lot from Dwaynes posts but .......

On another tangent, If you sincerely love what you do then don't stop doing it because we here have discouraged you, do it because you love it.

I have always said, I don't do a job because of the money, I do it because I love the job. I don't do the job for the money. I left a consulting career because they fired me but I did not go back to the consulting career which pays pretty damn good, I took a job I loved and missed a lot. I'm going to be going back to consulting part time to supplement my income.

Take the advice from everyone here, including Dwayne, with a grain of salt because all of the advice you will be given will be tainted by our own view of the world.

thanks to all for the food for thought. my biggest issue is when I jump on a truck with the county. I see medic with (god like) skill and the experince to match yet for the most part they are just going through the motions. that is something that both saddens me and leaves me worried that I will loose the heart for the job. no matter how small my footprint in this world may be that is an unacceptable outcome to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.