when does the rush go away?

ouch-sc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say the rush seems to never go away completely. With the low call volume you have annually and you don't get anymore experience than that from anywhere else, it's going to feel like you are still a rookie. That adrenaline rush is still there.

Many will say that it's good to still get a rush. But you may want to look into a volunteer service to run with. Get some field time in and many more calls than you are already getting under your belt.

Keep up the good work.

i'm an industrial emt-B from the get go. good or bad I run 20 or so calls a year. Stubbed toes to amputation for 5yrs and the so called rush is still alive and well. good and bad.

wow the experience he/she must have

how can someone who runs 20 calls a year keep their skills up to even a mediocre level?

My advice is to get out of industrial EMS and get into the field. The only way you will stay a quality EMT is to do one of two things

1. advance your level of education to paramedic or

2. get in a ambulance service that runs more than 20 calls a year.

The rush will never go away when all you do is run 20 calls a year. I can't imagine that a stubbed toe gets your adrenaline going.

so what do you do for the times you sit around and do nothing?

Nice way to scare people away.. But that sounds like your typical emergency rate for an industrial setting.. First aid, being apart from true emergencies. I still get a rush from nasty calls, after ten years, anywhere from 110 to 450 calls a year. That's my tally's, not the service, can't run every call.. I doubt he has a paramedic text, as an EMT-B, timmuh.

Not trying to scare anyone away. All I was saying and fogive me if I was harsh as I'm going to be burying my father in law today and I'm a tad stressed but honestly, do you think that anyone can keep their skills up with just 20 calls a year?

I was suggesting (not greatly and rather poorly) for him to get out of industrial EMS as a career and take a job as a EMT at a service that runs more than 20 calls a year.

Industrial EMS is a good calling but you can't keep your skills up if you are just running 20 calls a year. He should still work in industrial ems if that's where he wants to work but getting more calls under his/her belt will do nothing but help him/her in the future.

Going on and getting his/her medic would be the best decision in my book but it's up to the original poster.

i was not trying to scare the op off only to enforce the ideology that running 20 calls a year does not allow you to hone your skills. This goes for any service that runs 20 calls a year.

I'm all for doing what you love and I hope the "rush" never ends or goes away but to me a full time job with only 20 calls a year is just stagnating yourself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.