school scenarios....advice please!!!!

stiches

I wasn't sure to put this post so here seemed as good of place as any. Im taking my pcp course and am having some difficulty not with the bookwork nor the written tests, it's the scenarios that I'm having huge difficulties with. My course is done with SIAST. The trouble I having is trying to remember what I want to do, what I'm doing, why I'm going to do what I think I'm going to do, reevaluating what I have done, ect, verbalize it all and stay on track so i don't kill my pt., in a timely manner. Does anyone here have any ideas that I could possibly find useful?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you having problems with a specific type of call or just scenarios in general? As for school calls of the type that will be used in your licensing exams they are essentially a checklist. I was fortunate to have a lead instructor who didn't follow that philosophy in class but that is not the norm. Where are you finding you trip up first?

You may want to ask one of the mods to move this to the Canadian forum BTW. Other Canadians will better understand the PCP scope and be able to assist you.

I'm not sure how I go about moving this post to the canadian forum. I find that my problem comes with all scenarios, thus far, and that I can't seem to be as verbalized as we're intended to be. At the same time keep mental track of the past, present and future of the call and remembering to verbalize all the minute things. For example not only say that I'm wearing my gloves but why, what bodily fluids am I protecting myself from and then going threw the rest of the BSI equiptment. I can understand that we need to prove we understand the scenario and the equiptment, but somewhere in the scenario I get lost in what all I need to say and what I really need to do.

First of all you have to calm down, you are probably psyching your own self out, since you are not have problem with the other formats. So take a deep breath, and think before you speak. It is always ABC first. Practice with your classmates until you have every conceivable hick-up fixed. While you guys are practicing, intentionally try to trip each other up.

I'm not sure how I go about moving this post to the canadian forum. I find that my problem comes with all scenarios, thus far, and that I can't seem to be as verbalized as we're intended to be. At the same time keep mental track of the past, present and future of the call and remembering to verbalize all the minute things. For example not only say that I'm wearing my gloves but why, what bodily fluids am I protecting myself from and then going threw the rest of the BSI equiptment. I can understand that we need to prove we understand the scenario and the equiptment, but somewhere in the scenario I get lost in what all I need to say and what I really need to do.

Am I correct in understanding that you are expected to verbalize every action and consideration? If that's the case I can certainly understand the difficulty you may be having. The whole idea behind the verbalization is memorization of the patient assessment model. Once you have are completely comfortable with that model everything will start coming together for you. Did you have difficulty with public speaking when you where younger? In my experience people who have difficulty with public speaking also have difficulty performing scenarios in front of others in class. Remember you're all students and none of you are able to function at a higher level than the next. Sometimes scenarios are as much about learning to perform in public as they are about displaying your knowledge. Don't discount this skill as the reality is it's something you are going to be expected to do for the rest of your career. You'll get there. Take solace in the fact that school scenarios and real calls are very different. Thus the importance of precepting and hospital clinicals.

No I never have had any problems with public speaking. The problem is that our scenario is graded on this rurberic http://programs.siast.sk.ca/ehc/PCP/Scenar...CP%20Rubric.pdf and another checklist type of deal.

So the more you tell (proving the more you understand) the better your grade will be. So one can't just say that I'm wearing my BSI and he has a pulonary embolism (because of recent surgery, diminished lung sounds, sharp chest pain and his vitals are out of wack) ,bad example but I hope you get the picture. I hate to sound as thou I'm complaining but, any ideas at to remembering ALL that was learned and then remembering to apply it all to any given scenario? Or I'm just simply looking at the situation in a manner that's not working for me and that can be changed?

Stitches I know exactly how you feel, I just graduated, and your right, that rubric is hard.

BSI: Easy marks, get a speach down pad and you'll get a 4 or 5 every time.

Scene Assesment: Remember your POPP talk through everything, do it once outside, once inside, maybe again in the room with the pt. Get your general impression here

ABC's: Make sure you ask! Lots of people lost alot of marks because they didn't ask right away, remember the skin!

Assesments: Look listen and feel, ask about everything, You wont lose marks (as far as I know) for pertinent negatives, but you will if you dont ask. State stable or unstable and if you need ALS

The biggest thing is to get into a routine, every scenario can be treated the same way and if you get into a rhythm you'll forget less and be a little more relaxed. Calm down. Deep Breaths and Calm Down.

Hope that helps.

By The way, what campus are you taking your course at?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.