"Headlight Flahser" Uses

There are three points to be made here, first, yes, you need to use a strobe flasher and controller to have a "strobe" effect, and you should be using LED lights, not incadecent trailer lights. Second, No matter how many lights you put on your POV, only about 10 % of drivers are going to notice them or heed them and move over for you, running emergency lights on a POV does not give you any special right of way, you still have to abide by all traffic laws in most states. Third, you should Never park your POV upstream of an accident scene, always park beyond the scene whenever possible, or out of the way.

Only larger emergency vehicles ie: fire trucks, rescue trucks or at least police vehicles with a full compliment of lights, should be stopped between the scene and oncoming traffic.

Be Trained, Be Safe, and Be There for the Next Call!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your rank is cop; or you're driving a fire engine or ambulance.. That's a good way to set yourself up for a fine, at least in Penna. According to the loosely enforced vehicle code, only a police vehicle, fire or EMS vehicle, not to include a personal vehicle; may have headlight flashers or grill lights. Not even "chief" officers in the fire or ems category may use them, on a personal vehicle. Departmental vehicles of course are different. I wish the code was enforced, with fines, for everyone. Maybe Galls would finally go out of business. :twisted:

So far I've received very little assistance with my question. Do I need to know the laws for my state? No. I've worked in/with law enforcement and know the regs. Neither did I ask for input on how to drive an emergency vehicle, POV or not.

My question was a technical question. Not a legal inquiry on how to drive an emergency vehicle and follow the law.

Also, my vehicle is clearly marked on both sides stating "Fire Dept" with red reflective tape fully surrounding the vehicle and reflective bumpers, as well as a light bar. My vehicle is a police model from an auction, so it resembles the local police units, and also gives me an advantage when requesting the right of way. People believe it is a police car until they are able to read the side of the vehicle.

So, please answer the technical side of my question as it is truly my only concern as of now.

I think it has been answered as well as you can expect at this time. With the info you gave and with your expertise as you described, you have little options. Unfortunately it seems that any thread, with whatever question will be attacked for not being asked by a "professional paramedic" with a four year degree. Of course that statement dumps us back into the whole HVAC for free discussion, but what the heck its all in good fun. Yeah for fire based EMS. :D (Let the fun begin)!!!!!!

If this is a department issued vehicle shouldn't they be providing the appropriate warning and signalling devices for it? If you're having technical troubles remember that the costs of professional work on a vehicle is usually tax deductible for the business/department but "sweat equity" is not and it may be more advantageous for your department to take this vehicle to the garage for proper work. Improper light set-ups and alterations to the electrical system may prove hazardous if not done correctly and could negatively affect the department's insurance coverage. (What doesn't really)

Or did you put FD on the side of your POV?

A quick google search found a great deal of info on strobe boxes and light set-ups and took less than 30 secs. I don't support POV lights. A quick read over at Policeposers.com will find pages and pages of reasons why I don't.

I'm afraid you may have difficulty finding a sympathetic ear in the case of the latter as the majority of the active membership here seem disinclined to whackerdom. However, there are many electronics and custom car hobbyists on the internet who may be better able to answer your questions.

does anyone remember the yellow banana vehicle that Tony gave his daughter on "Who's the boss"? Take that to the limit of this fire department vehicle and you get the idea.

AS for the answer to your original question a quick google search gives you several options to go with but.

I think you need to re-evaluate running in your personal vehicle. Are you covered by your fire departments insurance or your personal vehicle insurance? i'd hazard a negative on both aspects.

Be careful ok.

So far I've received very little assistance with my question. <snip>

So, please answer the technical side of my question as it is truly my only concern as of now.

Did you even read the replies? You've been told by two different people that your question made zero sense, and that we need more information in order to address it. You FAIL to provide that information. You were obviously not even serious about your question in the first place. You're just a troll who got exactly what he was looking for, which is two pages of nonsense.

Did you even read the replies? You've been told by two different people that your question made zero sense, and that we need more information in order to address it. You FAIL to provide that information. You were obviously not even serious about your question in the first place. You're just a troll who got exactly what he was looking for, which is two pages of nonsense.

Now that is the dust of old.

1) Only a strobe light can "strobe", all others blink or glow.

2) If you are going to use any lights other than what the manufacturer put into the vehicle, make certain that each circuit is on it's own fuse or breaker, and on some kind of direct wiring to the battery or generator, so you don't overload the cigarette lighter's circuit.

3) Make sure the battery and/or generator can handle the load from the lights, as someone jokingly pointed out, your battery MIGHT implode from the strain (LOL). At least it will fail a lot sooner than the warranty holds for, and I don't know any location in the country where any of the LEOs have to jump a depleted car battery, and it might be a long cold wait for the road service.

4) If you have an auto mechanic who specializes in car electrical systems, you'd best make a friend of that mechanic, he or she might help a bunch better than I can, or possibly anyone else on this site. We specialize in helping people, the mechanic studies to help with "Medi-Car". (LOL)

Another thing: check state and local laws on flashing headlights. Using NYC as an example, only "duly authorized" emergency vehicles are allowed to have alternating headlights. I know folks who "got around" this by installing flasher devices that flashed the high beams in unison.

I am told by friends in the California Highway Patrol that flashing headlights, either alternating/semaphoring or unison flashers, that the rate that seems to get attention more rapidly is a rate of 2 to 4 flashes a second.

One final thing, at least for this posting...Some people don't seem to notice the emergency lights on any type of either marked or unmarked vehicles until the collision is irrevocably imminent. Drive expecting the unexpected, because that is always what you're going to get.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.