Dallas-Fort Worth EMS

vcfd35s

Does the DFW area or any surrounding cities have any private 911 companies such as AMR? I may be re-locating and I currently am an EMT running the 911 in Southern Cali with a private 911 BLS company. I just wanted to get a feel for my options of jobs...whether I can run with a private company or should I look in the hospitals for a ER-Tech position? I would, ultimately, like to stay on a rig and eventually start medic school soon.

If anyone runs as an EMT or Medic in the DFW area please shoot me a message or offer some input. Thanks guys!

http://www.medstar911.org/

Theyre hiring and they have an in house medic school.

That's kind of misleading about the in-house school, since they almost never hire EMT's, lol. They're just trying to upgrade the ones they are stuck with. There are a LOT of EMT mills in DFW cranking out thousands of new suckers a year to work for minimum wage, so EMS jobs for EMTs are very few and far between. There are, however, a lot of transfer services in the Dallas area. Very few in the Tarrant County area, because Fort Worth and Arlington both have "public utility model" EMS providers that don't allow any competition for transfers.

Arlington's system is managed by AMR, and I think they only hire medics and intermediates. They used to be dual medic before AMR came in and started whining about the cost. Bastards. Fort Worth and Arlington are the only non-fire jobs in Tarrant County. Surrounding Parker, Wise, Johnson, and Hood Counties have hospital based (except for Johnson, which is private) systems that hire EMTs and medics, but don't often have openings because of the glut of certified people in DFW.

Both Fort Worth and Dallas Childrens' hospitals have ER techs and transport techs. Both county hospitals have ER techs, as so most of the larger hospitals.

As for education, Tarrant County College has one of the best medic degree programmes in the country. And no, I didn't go there, so that's an honest, objective opinion. There is a good programme at Brookhaven College in Dallas, as well as Hill College in Hill County. Navarro College... meh, not impressed. Weatherford College used to be great, but I don't hear much good about it after going through several programme directors in the last few years. Methodist Hospital in Dallas also used to be awesome, but has declined in recent years, still looking for good leadership.

Bottom line, not much at all here for an EMT. Medics won't find much either unless you either have a lot of experience, or want to be a firemonkey.

Bottom line, not much at all here for an EMT.

It seems like it's getting harder and harder for Basics to find FT jobs anywhere. Most places I've seen are looking for medics only.

Unless you want to work as a ER Tech, which, depending on the facility, I wouldn't discourage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.