Fallen EMS Brother

Early this morning where I run we lost one of our own. Two ambulances involved in two wrecks. First Mt. Alto was transporting a patient when they hit a road sign and a 4x4 post slammed through their windshield. they stopped and called for a transfer. Silver Springs was dispatched and took patient. On the way to the hospital the driver for Silver Springs suffered a massive heart attack and died. The ambulance left the road, wrecked sending 2 nurses and the attending emt to the hospital with serious injuries. They are expected to make a full recover. I personally knew the driver and emt. So please say a little prayer for all those involved. Both are services here in PA.

IMO we've been really loose with the term 'fallen brother' lately. it seems to be an east coast thing, maybe im wrong. Ive always equated the term with a member of public safety that was killed in the line of duty. Not one that died of illness. If i died in a plane crash in Ukraine, would i still be a 'fallen brother'? I also see alot of '343' stickers on volly cars or kids with a newly minted EMT-B certificate. Again, in my opinion, it has gotten WAY out of hand. It seems that everyone that knew somebody that knew somebodys cousin that was dating the half brother of a sister of an FDNY guy has a sticker on their car. You also see a lot of LODD this and LODD that topics from noobs on public safety forums. It seems as if you post a LODD death from 5 states away, youre somehow 'cool' or a bigshot that can proclaim to the local cute wal-mart bagger chick that you risk your life for others. I want to clarify that my opinion in know way shape or form has to do with this mans death. Any loss of life like that is tragic. I feel that actual LODD deaths are cheapened by volly fire dorks and other 'wanna-be's' that strut around in fire/police/EMS t-shirts with bigass fire beltbuckles and any reason they can thnk of to have a scanner in their cars.

Its not about who you know, its about what we are and what we do. Ive just wanted to get that off my chest for some time now. Sure we can talk about a supposed 'brotherhood' and all this but really, if you didnt know the person, give it a rest. Yeah it sucks when somebody dies but a volly firekid in nebraska doesnt need to have old glory at half mast when a fulltime fire guy gets killed in an off duty car wreck in washington state. I thnk it amounts to having a conversation piece when these guys have stickers and t-shirts all over the place. It give them a chance to feel important and somehow be 'in the know' when a regular joe asks them what the 343 sticker, or any other memorial device, is all about.

Again, i feel for this guys family and crewmembers and do not want to take away from the traditional shows of solidarity practiced by police and fire departments. I only wish that the wanna-be's would stay out of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.