Who was the first Paramedic in the US or Canada ?

I was at a seminar one time in 1995 and the speaker stated that those involved in EMS prior to 1991 were to be considered pioneers in emergency medicine in the US. He said that 1966 was the year EMS had become well established and that 30 yrs. was the time period considered for the development of modern day EMS to be successful.

Apparently the speaker became an EMT in 1990. I can't think of any other reason he would have chosen 1991 to cut-off "pioneers". :roll:

That guy didn't know WTF he was talking about. The "development of modern day EMS" still isn't successful today. It certainly wasn't in 1996. And it was not "well established" in 1966, save for some very rare local exceptions.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the speaker became an EMT in 1990. I can't think of any other reason he would have chosen 1991 to cut-off "pioneers". :roll:

That guy didn't know WTF he was talking about. The "development of modern day EMS" still isn't successful today. It certainly wasn't in 1996. And it was not "well established" in 1966, save for some very rare local exceptions.

It was a doctor, and I agree with you about how it didn't sound kosher to pick 1996. I was just repeating what he said. I knew either you or AK would "sound off" on it. :wink:

Freedom House Ambulance was established in Pittsburgh in the late 60's (Sorry but I don't know the exact year) to serve a largely black community in the city (the Hill District) because the ambulances run by the funeral homes would not respond there. The crews were mostly Vietnam vets and many had been combat medics. They were trained by several doctors most notably Dr. Peter Safar. They originally only responded into the Hill but when the police saw what they could do they started calling them to other parts of the city. At that time the cops would take people to the hospital by tossing them into the back of the van and driving like hell to the hospital with both officers up front. Pittsburgh EMS grew out of this and one of the assistant chiefs is a Freedom House vet.

I would be interested to know which US city had the first paramedic service.

Good topic.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

The "inventor" of the first (?) portable Defibrillator was a Belfast Doctor (who passed away a few years ago). The Paramedic programme in Ireland is still in its infancy. we still have a long long way to go yet but hopefully we'll get there. Further info can be found on www.phecit.ie

• 7 years later...
On 2/5/2009 at 6:51 AM, AnthonyM83 said:

I thought it started in Ireland with that doc and his defibrillation machine, then copied in a few other countries the next year...

Ken C Beach was the first paramedic in the states. Its my understanding that he started the program.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.