BLS Trucks and AEDs

Does your service have AEDs on it's BLS units ?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • some units do

I have worked for both those in NJ that have them and those that don't . While I argued that this was the penny wise and pound foolish concept. The New Jersey Law leaves some room for transport companies . So if you work for a company that wants to save money they will do that till somebody dies and sues them !!!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe last service I was at did not put AEDs on a BLS truck. We would carry a Manual Defib if we had an EMT-I (at our service EMT-I did not make a unit ALS). We also had a bad problem of BLS crews carrying ALS gear b/c they did not check the truck or the ALS crew did not pull the gear when they had to swap trucks. Worst I have seen was a BLS truck with full IV set ups, fluids, EZ-IO, ET Tubes, CombiTube (Not BLS in Alabama), and a vent. Our BLS units did not respond to 9-1-1 calls but there are times they would transport a PT from one hospital to another where it might have been a good idea to carry an AED just in case. When asking a supervisor what to do if something happened on one of those calls I was told just call for ALS and do what you can until they got there (not the best planning in my book) one of the reasons I left the service.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.