BLS Trucks and AEDs

Does your service have AEDs on it's BLS units ?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • some units do

no, our ambulances do not have aed's on them. i think they are not required for bls in pa. i personally would like to see them on the ambulances . in order to take emt b class you have to be certified in cpr/aed. so every basic in pa knows how to use them why not have them on? unfortunately most owners of bls companies that i am familiar with only will do the bare min requirements to pass inspection to save money.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/l...sure_manual.pdf

Lists AED for BLS ambulances as required equipment.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy smokes... thanks. it says for authorized bls services. any idea of what that means? does that exclude private owned? it shouldn't . i don't understand how the ambulances pass inspection then. unless they were on there during inspection then taking off. but that wouldn't make sense either.

holy smokes... thanks. it says for authorized bls services. any idea of what that means? does that exclude private owned? it shouldn't . i don't understand how the ambulances pass inspection then. unless they were on there during inspection then taking off. but that wouldn't make sense either.

Maybe they move there 1 or 2 AEDs ambulance to ambulance as the inspector checks them making the inspector think they all have them. Might be worth calling the state for clarification of authorized BLS. Maybe they don't authorize all to carry. Not sure. Makes no sense not to require them. Heck even the schools have them now adays, surely an ambulance should.

• 4 weeks later...

My current service doesn't have BLS units...so irrelevant for me :). However, the first service I was with did NOT have them on their BLS units, which was a constant sore spot for me. Thankfully, they have changed their practice and in the last couple of years they have placed AED's on ALL BLS rigs.

Our service does not carry AEDs on basic trucks. I think it is stupid a wreckless that we don't. I am in Louisiana where AEDs are not on the state requirement list for BLS trucks. Of course the Paramedic trucks have monitors on the with manual defib on them. Although our trucks that have NREMT-Intermediates do carry AEDs. Also I's carry Combi-tubes where basics don't which once again is a basic skill in La. So if a basic has a pt that goes south on them its the old chest compressions and BVM with a OPA or NPA. To me that is not the best pt care we can provide.

So if a basic has a pt that goes south on them its the old chest compressions and BVM with a OPA or NPA. To me that is not the best pt care we can provide.

I'd go a step farther and call it f'ing negligent. To call this sort of care Emergency Medical Services is a joke! It's got as much in common with medicine as the standard first aid class I teach. Actually less as we use AED's in every single one of them. With the advent of PAD programs all over the place why aren't you EMT's without defib up in arms over this and screaming for increased standards?! It's ridiculous that this passes for EMS anywhere in the world let alone the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

FDNY Certified First Responder-Defibrillator Engine companies, and FDNY EMS BLS ambulances carry the Philips HeartStart FR2+ AED. I am forgetful as to what defib the FDNY ALS units carry.

I understand that some NYPD patrol cars are carrying the same, or similar, models, as are units in the Nassau County PD, and, I think, some NY State Trooper cars. Can anyone verify the LEO organizations as carrying defibs in NY State?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.