BLS Trucks and AEDs

Does your service have AEDs on it's BLS units ?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • some units do

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't realize that even existed? So without an AED (and I'm assuming it wasn't an AED vs. manual defib question) what exactly do these providers do in an SCA?

And yes our BLS providers here have LP12's or Zoll's with SAED, 3 Lead ECG, NIBP, SPO2, 12 lead and usually the ALS options that we just don't use without an ACP partner. (ETCO2, manual defib, pacing) I've only seen stand alone AED's with first responders and public access, never in EMS.

I am confused by your post doc. Are you asking why would you want an AED, because your units have real monitors on board with manual defibs ?

If so, the reason is basics cant interpret EKG, so having a manual defib is worthless, whereas much like on first responder vehicles, AEDs require no EKG interpretation ability. The basic truck would attach the AED and follow the directions. If the patient needed defib, they would get it.

Does this exist within EMS in the states or is this just "Ambulances" with EMT's running IFT's who are never within shouting distance of an emergency. Because in that case a lot of the private transfer services don't have AED's. But they aren't considered ambulances under the law and their are no regulations on them or their staff.

In the US, an ambulance is an ambulance regardless of what level it is, and regardless of whether it is 911 or non-emergent. Many BLS trucks in the US, do not have an AED or manual defib on board (in many states, it would be illegal to have a monitor on a BLS truck). The hope would be that services would not send a BLS unit to an ALS call, but obviously, if they are the only ambulance available, then they would have to be sent.

I am confused by your post doc. Are you asking why would you want an AED, because your units have real monitors on board with manual defibs ?

If so, the reason is basics cant interpret EKG, so having a manual defib is worthless, whereas much like on first responder vehicles, AEDs require no EKG interpretation ability. The basic truck would attach the AED and follow the directions. If the patient needed defib, they would get it.

Our basic units have LP12's... yes, you are right that basics cannot interpret EKG. but, they can apply a 12 lead, and we have the capabilty to transmit that lead to the ER via land line or cell phone... so the ER doc can interpret the initial rhythm before the BLS unit gets to hospital.

The care that a basic provides does not change. But, the care that the patient receives in ER may be provided more efficiently when they know what is coming through the door in advance.

In my area, some FD trucks that first respond for EMS have AED's and there are public access AED's in numerous locations throughout the community.

Not a bad plan annie, i like the thinking, so do those monitors have the built-in aed, if not, are you planning to put AEDS on your BLS trucks ?

Did you just ask if the LP12 has a built in AED? Is it not standard to have automatic mode?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.