Question? on dirp rates

sportygirl

Ok sothis might be a dumb question or have has been asked befor but here gose any way. In my EMT class they taught us how to calculate drip rates but I am still kind of bad at them any one have any suggestions? And I have a question? dose drug calculations differ then drip rates? And I am trying to get into an LVN program would this be covered agin or better?

I know the drip rate formula is DxR/T (Dos times Rate divied by Time)

Thanks for any input and help on this and sorry if I am a little over my head.

The formula for drip rates varies depending on what you are solving for, but that is a basic formula. Sometimes conversions need to be made first. As far as being covered in the LVN program, I would definitely think so. I would be quite suprised if it weren't. Good luck !

Ok sothis might be a dumb question or have has been asked befor but here gose any way. In my EMT class they taught us how to calculate drip rates but I am still kind of bad at them any one have any suggestions? And I have a question? dose drug calculations differ then drip rates? And I am trying to get into an LVN program would this be covered agin or better?

I know the drip rate formula is DxR/T (Dos times Rate divied by Time)

Thanks for any input and help on this and sorry if I am a little over my head.

Sporty, sporty...... you know better than to post without spellcheck!! sheesh :lol:

oops sorry mobey.... and is this stuff not normal for EMT's to learn drip rates? but are there any more suggestions? On how to do this stuff?

To what end are you using drip rate calculations? Are you calculating rates for med admin or are you doing maintenance rates with NS, D5W, Ringer's ect.? If you're just doing standard solution maintenance rates there are some quick and dirty methods for on car that work well. Using a 10gtt/mL set 1gtt every 6 seconds yields 60mL/hr for example.

.... and is this stuff not normal for EMT's to learn drip rates? but are there any more suggestions? On how to do this stuff?

No...it is not "normal" for EMT-Bs to be learning this. Of course you will learn these calculations in an LVN program.

Your formula is basic, but it varies depending on what one is solving for. One must obviously know the volume to be infused, the time that the medication is to be deliverd over, and the drip rate factor (i.e. micro vs. macro).

Give me one of your problems and I will solve it for you step by step so you can see it all mapped out (I would try and make one up but I can't think right now, as it is 0215 and I'm beat). :lol:

~Ec

PS Go for the RN :wink:

rocky_shoes

To what end are you using drip rate calculations? Are you calculating rates for med admin or are you doing maintenance rates with NS, D5W, Ringer's ect.? If you're just doing standard solution maintenance rates there are some quick and dirty methods for on car that work well. Using a 10gtt/mL set 1gtt every 6 seconds yields 60mL/hr for example.

I belive there are no drugs involved but would that make a difference? If so then what is the difference? How do you maintenan the rates with NS,D5W,Ringer's ect?

Ecnalubma08

Your formula is basic, but it varies depending on what one is solving for. One must obviously know the volume to be infused, the time that the medication is to be deliverd over, and the drip rate factor (i.e. micro vs. macro).

Give me one of your problems and I will solve it for you step by step so you can see it all mapped out (I would try and make one up but I can't think right now, as it is 0215 and I'm beat).

I would love it if you could teach me some more of this stuff and brake it down for me.