Does your state require a special license to operate an ambo

EMT1972

Does your state DMV require an additional certificate/license to drive an ambulance?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additionally Anthony... you missed the part... "If you intend to drive"

No, I was specifically addressing that point. The main part of your sentence made it seem like DMV was forcing all to get it, then added in parenthesis "if you intend to drive". Just seemed like "DMV is forcing all citizens who ride aboard a car to get a driver's license...well if you intend on being a driver"....ummm, well yeah.

Anyway, I think that's how JPINFV took it too. Just wanted to clarify things to the other non-Californians reading or future potential EMTs who might find this thread from a google search.

Good luck in your polling.

In Pennsylvania we complete an EVOC class. In Cali when I was out there approx 9yrs ago, I did a similar course up in San Bernandino Co for EVOC.....LOVED the skid pad BTW...LOL. :roll: 8)

Not sure if it changed out there, but my regular drivers license is still a class C...just a regular person.

In Connecticut on a state level no. Driver training of course is given by volly and paid companies alike. Most commercial services and some others will do an EVOC/CEVO course but its not mandated by state. I have taken EVOC for Type II and Type III ambulances and also have my Class B CDL.

Last I knew for IL you just had to have a license consistent with the weight requirements of the vehicles you are to drive. Nothing specific for just ambulance or other emergency vehicles.

It's not required but they do have classes in Emergency and Defensive driving, which is pretty much an EVOC class can be taken.

For LA you have to have a chauffer's license.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.