Does your state require a special license to operate an ambo

EMT1972

Does your state DMV require an additional certificate/license to drive an ambulance?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I live in the State Of California, the Department of Motor Vehicles requires that anyone working onboard an ambulance (if you intend to drive) to have an Ambulance Driver Certificate (essentially a commercial drivers' license... even though it is a stupid piece of paper, not an add-on to your actual drivers' license). If you answer my poll, please post a reply and tell me what state you reside in. IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA... PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS, I KNOW YOUR ANSWER!!!

Thank You

Title changed to reflect content...AK

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state of Missouri requires a chauffers(sic) license, it's just a form of drivers license but it does not cover over the regular drivers license.

we have a class E license(chauffers) license that is our license. Nothing more in order to drive.

The state of Missouri requires a chauffers(sic) license, it's just a form of drivers license but it does not cover over the regular drivers license.

we have a class E license(chauffers) license that is our license. Nothing more in order to drive.

Guess I should have been a little more specific... Is your Class E specific to ambulance driving?

Your county EMS agency may require an ambulance driving certificate (which only means you understand the laws regarding driving the ambulance), but it isn't required state wide.

In California you (I) are required to have an Ambulance Driver Certificate which is issued by DMV and regulated by them and the Highway Patrol (more so by Highway Patrol)... The counties (EMS or otherwise (at least in California have no say so to the issuance of said certificate)). I am running this poll to see what the other 49 states require. All input is greatly appreciated!!!

I live in the State Of California, the Department of Motor Vehicles requires that anyone working onboard an ambulance (if you intend to drive) to have an Ambulance Driver Certificate (essentially a commercial drivers' license... even though it is a stupid piece of paper, not an add-on to your actual drivers' license).

It's an ambulance driver certificate, which is more of an add-on than a different license. And since it's only required if you're driving, I wouldn't say that anyone working aboard one needs it (according to state), though your company policies will differ. Police and fire do not require the certificate.

Written test is done by DMV and behind-the-wheel training is done by the ambulance employer/owner.

IN CT No spec. lic required but if your company vehicle insurance is good they will requir some type of emergency driving program like "CEVO"

http://coachingsystems.com/product_details...ID=26&CID=1

It's an ambulance driver certificate, which is more of an add-on than a different license. And since it's only required if you're driving, I wouldn't say that anyone working aboard one needs it (according to state), though your company policies will differ. Police and fire do not require the certificate.

Written test is done by DMV and behind-the-wheel training is done by the ambulance employer/owner.

Yes DMV gives the test... however, CHP regulates ambulances within the state of California... it is indeed a cert rather than a license... I am just taking a concensus to see what other states require such certs...

IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA... PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS, I KNOW YOUR ANSWER!!!

Well, the two that replied did so because the info in your original message seemed a little as if you actually didn't quite know the situation is California. (Like DMV regulates the licenses...CHP regulates ambulances themselves. Different stuff.) Just doing some discussion on a discussion board . . .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.