Home-schooling

Just Plain Ruff

Does anyone home school and if you do please let me know your curriculum you are using. My wife and I have pretty much decided to homeschool next year but we need some input on curriculum.

If you prefer to send it to me via PM please do so also.

thanks

We home schooled ours for a few years before transitioning to public school. A close friend of mine home schooled her son from 4th grade though 10th grade before sending him to high school to finish.

Anyways, we both used the same program. I absolutely loved this curriculum, it had everything we needed and gave plenty of ideas for varying the lessons. The grade you purchase comes in a nice prepackaged kit and their online support/resources and parent network is excellent.

http://www.calvertschool.org/home-school/

For additional supply needs, look here.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/home/home.jsp

I would implore you, as a person who was homeschooled from age 2 to age 13 and then chucked into public high school...

PLEASE make sure you are socializing your kids with mainstream public school children as well as whatever homeschool support group you might join... PLEASE. While it is nice to develop one's self identity apart from external influences, it is also horrendously difficult to catch up on the subtle nuances of interpersonal interaction. Keeping your kids *totally* separate from the public school system can set them up for emotional damage as they try to figure it out later if you aren't careful. There's things that must be learned in a social context that *cannot* come from any book or one's own close family... so make sure you don't deprive your children of that experience.

If you want to know more about why I'm so emphatic with this, PM me.

Academically, I would say homeschooling is absolutely the way to go... I think my mom still has a lot of the curriculum I used, if you'd be interested, PM me.

Good luck!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy is right. Make sure the kids interact with other kids. My kiddo plays with kids that are in public school, sorry not plays hangs out. Forgot growing up they become boring and hang out. :shock:

We have always made sure the kiddo has access to activitys with other kids. It is nice though that it is a little easier to help avoid the trouble kids.

Home schol is tough as it is easy to allow a few days to slide by and before you know it its a few weeks. Do not let that happen.

I home schooled 1st, 6th, and all of high school! The best part about it is that I was able to get all my school work done in the morning and play in the afternoon when all my friends had to do home work! It is hard tough!!! Make sure that you take the time to help your kids with anything they need or find someone that can help them understand the info.

I used A beka, a good but very hard curriculum (it is Christian based however)! The nice thing about that program is that they have DVDs for each class, that has a teacher in a classroom teaching kids, so it makes you feel like you are a part of the class. If you don't understand something, you can just rewind the DVD and watch the class again! A beka also has a fully accredited program so that when you complete grade 12 you can graduate with a high school diploma instead of having to get your GED like most home schoolers. But there are alot of other good programs out there as well. Good luck!! :)

http://www.abeka.org/

To answer a couple of points

Wendy, you do not have any thing to worry about my son not being included in activities with other kids as our sunday school has over 10 kids Liam's age in homeschool as well as we belong to a local homeschool chapter that offers lots of activities and field trips.

As for the curriculum, we have a book by a lady named Duffy who has broken down curriculum to a science. We are going to use a variety of homeschool programs one for math, one for language arts, one for science and one for social studies as well as a long list of other items that will complement his learning. It's gonna cost us about 1200 bucks for all the items but I think in the end it will be both beneficial as well as my son will learn a lot.

Ruff, you miss my point. Make sure your kids get some exposure to MAINSTREAM kids as well. MAINSTREAM, PUBLIC SCHOOL KIDS.

I had plenty of exposure to other homeschooled kids and did our group's co-op classes and field trips, I even played sports in an all homeschool Christian athletic league... it's not the same. Trust me on this. There are things that one wishes to shield one's kids from in the public school system, but there are also vital social cues that are beneficial.

Even today, I can walk into a room full of kids and know within 3 minutes who the homeschooled kids are and who the public schooled kids are...

Trust me. Homeschooling is great! Controlled environment, good place to develop a solid moral foundation and excellent academic skills... but the skills to survive and understand what's going on around you in the real world are just as important.

Wendy

CO EMT-B