Your Current Marrital Status  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Single, never married
    • Married to my original spouse
    • divorced one time
    • divorced two times
    • divorced three or more times

Single. I know that this is going to sound really Cliche', but I dont want to get married until I'm 1,000 percent sure that I could spend my life with him, and even with that, you can't always be 100 percent sure that its always going to work out... You could be fully devoted to your spouse but unless they are devoted to you, then your screwed.

NREMT did a formal study and prevailed there was no higher percentage than normal marriages. I can attest EMS did interfere with my relationships, unfortunately they were also involved in EMS as well.

R/r 911

But isn't that better in some ways Rid? To fully understand EMS and all the stresses and things we see you have to walk that walk too.

Divorce happens for many reasons reguardless what profession you are in or not in. It takes total commitment and sacrifice for any realationship to make it. Some are willing to go the extra mile some aren't, but then you have other factors to add to the equasion also. Damn now I know why I am single :twisted: :twisted:

Spent over 10 years in the military, and know for a fact that it was harder on my marriage than EMS. I was deployed for long periods of time, as opposed to now, being gone two or three days at most.

I agree that people who are prone to cheat will cheat no matter where they work.

Best policy there is keep your damn pants on away from the house.

Been married to the same woman for 28 years.

Just one man's opinion.

I asked one girl that I had been dating since Junior High School, and on into my time in EMS, where she also was an EMT, to marry me, but there was one unsurmountable hurdle in the way.

She said "NO".

I was being chased by a girl from High School during some of this time. When the first woman got married (for what was the first of now 3 marriages and 2 divorces), I stopped running away from her, turned around, and "caught" the second one.

Does the term "Rebound Date" come to mind?

This turned into a 9 year engagement, and a distance separation, me in Belle Harbor, NY, and her in Teaneck, New Jersey. After the 9 years, we both realized it was not going to happen, and we broke up, but remain friends.

Almost 2 years after the breakup, I started "hanging" with a lady that caught my fancy at my VAC. She and I have become "an item" now for 20 years (and a few days, as of the date of this posting). She is my friend, confidante, paramour, and as it turns out, have actually known each other for over 40 years, even if it started as a face with a name attached, back in 1967, and in the same schools from 1963 or 1964.

I almost forgot:

I am told that US Navy personnel assigned to submarine duty serve 6 months at sea, and then 6 months ashore, so, one way or the other, they should be happy at least half of the year!.

I almost forgot:

I am told that US Navy personnel assigned to submarine duty serve 6 months at sea, and then 6 months ashore, so, one way or the other, they should be happy at least half of the year!.

Or all year, since in either half they are surround by hard phallic objects filled with sea men.

I vowed I would never get married only because I never wanted to be divorced. My parents and both sets of grandparents are/were married to their original spouses. I can't say the same for all my aunts and uncles.

I had been with my husband nearly four years before we got married. He had all the qualities none of the other men I had dated possessed. He has a job (actually 2) and an education. He is kind, funny, and somewhat understanding. He is also supportive and believes that relationships shouldn't be difficult, even when times are tough. Most of all, he won over my parents (nearly impossible to do).

I only got married because I knew I would never get divorced.

I only got married because I knew I would never get divorced.

Ouch...

I don't want to rain on your parade but that is a little bold. I hope you are right, but I have heard more than a couple of friends and relatives say the same thing in the past. They are normally the same people who end up having the mother of all legal battles when, guess what, they file for divorce.

Saying you will never divorce, is like saying you will never get cancer - in spite of the best of intentions, there are no guarantees. Branding that about also opens the door for ones "significant other" (not saying yours) to behave however they please.

I don't see why there is still a social taboo with divorce, although I agree it isn't something to be taken lightly, nor rushed into at the first bump in the marriage. Ultimately though, the failing isn't in the actual separation and divorce, but the marriage to the person in the first place.