Temper Tantrum Turns Into Hillside Rescue - Spank? or What?

spenac

How would you discipline?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Spank
    • Sit in corner
    • Say no no
    • allow to keep "expressing self"

Ah! Well you're good to go, then! That is an environment where time-out can be most effective.

Model or not, chances are that you would get results a lot quicker, and have to use it a lot less often than you would with time-out. Like Dwayne said, time spent on punishment after enlightenment is achieved is wasted. And if you are intentionally delaying enlightenment through the use of time-out, you violate your own principle.

I completly agree dust. I was spanked... it only took 2 mins and the whole "episode" was over.

However, there has been ALOT of research on this subject by qualified people, who have published peer-reviewed journals. Those are the methods I use since they have been proven to be most effective.

Such as... Time-out is as long as the childs age 2y/o gets 2min time-out etc.

Again, I use proven methods, I think some may be confusing "Hands off" parenting for "Absent" parenting!

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/161/7/805

A google scholar search will give you lots of science on this subject.

Random thought: Just because you have always done something a certain way, does not mean it is the right or best way :lol:

(That was not directed at you Dust.... you know I got respect)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok time to make a comment. I have always been a firm believer that every child is different. There are those kids as soon as you say no they listen unfortunatly I didn't get one. I have 3 boys and I had to be creative for each of them when it came to punishment. One thing that i always did was give my kids a choice for there punishment to be grounded or a spanking. Surprise they picked the spanking every single time. One thing about kids is they want what ever punishment they recieve to be swift and done with. I also had rules about the spanking and one thing is that I would never speak or use anything other than my hand to do the deed. I believe that there is a big difference between disapline and abuse. As for the Teddy Bear gone gone gone.

Happy

As for the Teddy Bear gone gone gone.

Seriously makes me suspect the parents had their stash of meth in that bear or something. Think about it. You'd have a very hard time finding very many parents who would go down for that bear. Not to mention the wife attempting to "rescue" (as if he were in any danger) the husband instead of just calling 911 in the first place. They're hiding something. I think the kid tossed it because he knew there were "bad things" in it.

I'm not sure if you confused me with someone else' date=' or if you just completely misunderstood that post. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where I insulted anyone's kid.[/quote']

No confusion. As he stated that this is the way that he raises his kids, and you’ve claimed that this creates weak, spoiled kids, I felt, as I still do, that you were calling his child spoiled and weak.

That brat lost a teddy bear, would not get a new one and would have a sore ass.... And I agree with Mike, a 10 yr old with a teddy bear??!?!?!?

That brat lost a teddy bear, would not get a new one and would have a sore ass.... And I agree with Mike, a 10 yr old with a teddy bear??!?!?!?

Once again you need to thank God that there is no corporal punishment for stupidity...We'd have beat you to death.

Dwayne

Once again you need to than God that there is no corporal punishment for stupidity...We'd have beat you to death.

Dwayne

..stupidity is not a Chief complaint...I tried that once...

Mobey. Having had a quick glance through the article you've linked for us I wonder about the statistical validity and interpretation. Who is to say the higher incidence of anxiety disorders and drug/alcohol abuse are as a result of spanking? It should be considered that a propensity toward these type of problems may in fact be the reason these respondents were spanked as children to begin with. There is a big difference between the occasional spanking and abuse. If your methods are working for your children great. I'd rather not spank a child if it can be avoided. Speaking from my own experience I guarantee that some children require a more "firm" method of behavioural reinforcement. I was a headstrong (ADHD) little bugger as a child and "time out" would not have had a snowball's chance in hell.