BC PARAMEDICS NEED YOUR HELP

Greetings!

Though I have not visited EMT City for a while it still is one of my favorite EMS sits on the WEB.

Friends I ask that you take the time to visit this web site www.saveourparamedics.com

This is a site developed by the Ambulance Paramedics of BC CUPE Local 873. WE are the men and women who serve the Province of British Columbia for the BC Ambulance Service. Currently we are in collective bargaining for a new contract for our members. The managers of BCAS have offered us a 2% raise the first wage increase in 5 years! This is while our allied Emergency Workers the police and firefighters have seen wage increases in double digits for the same period annually. WE have asked for wage parity with other Emergency personnel and have been told by our managers that we are not as trained as them nor do we do the same type of work. Yet day in day out Paramedics Police and Firefighters attend the same calls together, work with each other and take on the same risks.

Right now a full time Paramedic in BC earns $20-30,000 per year less than a Vancouver Police Constable or Vancouver Firefighter with the same seniority. I ask you is that fair?

BC has had the best economy in Canada for the last 4 years and will be hosting the 2010 Olympics and Paralympics in Vancouver and Whistler. The Government of BC will be holding a general election in May. The Premier Gordon Campbell is going for a third term. On winning his last term his government enacted a bill that CRIMINALIZES any negative advertising against the government 90 days prior to an election. Comparisons to some dictatorship aside, WE need to get the message out to the public that the Government of BC is dis-values it's Paramedics. Recently we were compared to Care Aids, Lab Techs and LPN's by the management of BCAS's negotiation team when we asked for higher wages.

Please visit www.saveourparamedics.com and read about our current campaign and join us in our fight to a livable wage.

Thank you

Ambulance Al PCP

sorry i can't be much help here in the states. it sounds like the bc gov needs to get their head out of their butt or they will face a time when they will have no medics to run then where will they be. I would love to hear their reason why they let patients die because they can't keep medics.

so our basics make more than medics that is sick

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt letters from us will change a politician's mind. If you want change, tell your medics to quit working overtime shifts or second jobs for one month. When ambulances can not be staffed, the pay will increase, but as long as your medics are willing to work for that wage, the employers will continue to offer that wage. It is simple supply and demand.

I doubt letters from us will change a politician's mind. If you want change, tell your medics to quit working overtime shifts or second jobs for one month. When ambulances can not be staffed, the pay will increase, but as long as your medics are willing to work for that wage, the employers will continue to offer that wage. It is simple supply and demand.

The strike vote is going on right now. We won't be engaging in any kind of job action until April at which time we will have to meet with the BC labour relations board to determine essential service levels. Following April 1st some form of job action is likely. Whether that comes in the form of overtime/secondary bans I don't know. It's too early to tell.

Yes it is debatable whether 'A' letter to a politician will make a difference but look at it this way;

One letter = round file

Ten letters = response from an aid=

One Hundred letters = personal response from the politician

One Thousand letters = debate in the legislative assembly

Now if letters started coming in from EMS workers from outside of the province supporting us, particulairly letters to our local newspapers, will show that what BC Ambulance is offering and saying about it's Paramedics is disgraceful and disgusting.

Please lend a hand and take the time to show your support. If we raise the bar here perhaps it will help raise the standards for other EMS across the country.

You mentioned that the medics are paid substantially less than firefighters and constables, but you didnt mention what your average pay rates and scheduled hours of work are. I have never understood the logic of any of the public safety wings thinking that everyone who has a siren in their vehicle should be paid the same thing, as they are vastly different jobs with different dangers and skill sets. Could you please educate us to:

Your average pay rate for EMT's and medics.

The average hours worked per week.

Are the EMS paid Overtime for everything over 40 hours/week ? If so, are the constables and firefighters paid OT for everything over 40 hours per week ?

It is possible that the discrepancy in hourly rate is solely due to the overtime that is built in, thus making the EMS hourly rate much lower than the other two, while the annual salaries may be very close in range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.