NFPA Will Create New Ambulance Standards

CBEMT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a volly department, that explains the trucks...

Its nice seeing all that federal grant money being spent on 'useful' items. After further browsing their website, i came acrossed a 'blood of heroes' page. Why do these guys feel the need to ride the 9/11 band wagon? Why does this seem to be a theme that runs in every volly department ive ever heard of?

According to the site, their fire chief has been there since 1978.

Also from their site:

The MHVFD organized the Emergency Medical Service during 1975. This brought to the Mount Horeb Area basic life support EMS system which includes both stabilization and transport. The basic life support concept has since expanded to include administration of epinephrine, defibrillation and airway insertion.

FDMH Stations

Station 1

Quartered in an old lumber yard in the uptown area of the Village of Mount Horeb is the Mount Horeb Volunteer Fire Department and Emergency Medical Service. Visitors will see ornately decorated fire apparatus-most in a rich and unusual jet black, a marvelous toy fire engine collection, antique memorabilia including fire fighting equipment, framed prints and original paintings, an historic fire pole, a cobblestone driveway and traditional firehouse furnishings.

http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/MountHorebWI

About Mount Horeb Volunteer Fire Department:

Mount Horeb Volunteer Fire Department proudly protects 12000 people living in an area of 142 square miles. We operate out of 1 station that protects a primarily rural area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.

Today, he tells us, the department is 60 members strong, including firemen and EMT's. It proudly protects 13,000 people living in 8 municipalities over an area of 132 square miles, with an average of 1000 calls per year. His department trains future firefighters, maintaining a house for local "cadets," and Chuck himself teaches firefighting classes.

FYI. The 'town' has 10 cops that 'patrol' 4 square miles.

their engines scare me lol. They are freakin peterbuilt SEMI trucks with a water tank pump and hoses slapped on the back. and all those sirens is so they can let people hear them from 5 miles away because you wont see them with that color scheme.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of departments in places like Wisconsin have enclosed pump panels, to keep the pump operator from getting frostbite during a fire- which has happened. It can make the truck look much bigger.

A lot of departments nowadays are also trying to get trucks with bigger water tanks, more supply hose, etc to go for lower ISO ratings, which result in lower insurance rates for homeowners and businesses. 2000 gallon water tanks and a large hose capacity makes for big trucks.

Yeah, the front ends of them do seem pretty over the top though.

Thats why God and St Florian gave REAL firemen the knowledge of tanker task forces, drafting and hose tenders... obviously these guys can afford it. And I see plenty of closed cab pump pannels that dont look like tow trucks.

Not trying to be a douche, just a smart @$$ :twisted:

The spinning light on the front makes it look like it is built specifically for parades.

Thats called a roto-ray and its the most rediculous fu*king thing in the history of emergency lights. I hate them more than thoes stupid weeble-wobble halogeon lights... and oooh I hate thoes weeble-wobble things.

Anyways that roto-ray if you dont know spins around really fast with the lights light. Fast enough that itd probably take your hand off. Its mounted at the average rearview mirror height to get the drivers attention... because as you know thats not the point of all the other forward facing lights. Funny thing is, they are just as effective as they are rediculous (when mounted at the right height). Ive seen idots with mini-versions mounted on cheifs SUVs and stuff.... tottally pointless.

Thats called a roto-ray and its the most rediculous fu*king thing in the history of emergency lights. I hate them more than thoes stupid weeble-wobble halogeon lights... and oooh I hate thoes weeble-wobble things.

Those be Mars Lights.

Thanks again for the backup Arizona. Hell I used to work for Whelen Engineering and we never put out any weird junk like that.

I could get the same effect of a mars light if I stick a flashlight in a fish bowl (fish and water included) and put it on my dashboard..... for not even 5% of the cost even :wink:

their engines scare me lol. They are freakin peterbuilt SEMI trucks with a water tank pump and hoses slapped on the back. and all those sirens is so they can let people hear them from 5 miles away because you wont see them with that color scheme.

by the size of their service area it would appear they have just enough time to flick the siren on before theyre on scene. looks like a bunch of kiddies playin fire man. maybe all the christmas lights and bells n shit are to get the deer and groundhogs out of the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.