NFPA Will Create New Ambulance Standards

CBEMT

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), a nonprofit that has created and promoted codes and standards related to fire prevention and public safety since 1896, has decided for the first time to develop design standards for ambulances. NFPA notified national EMS organizations past August that it was considering this project and invited feedback. Dozens of organizations and individuals submitted comments, and in November NFPA invited those who commented to submit applications and resumes to be considered for membership on the new NFPA Committee on Ambulances.

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/arti...w_standard.html

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we need improvements we need it from PreHospital Medical Professionals combined with safety experts rather than fire designing ambulances. But this will probably come about because of all the in fighting that takes place in EMS. At this moment I move we as PreHospital Medical Professionals whether fire based, LE based, or EMS only join forces to make a loud voice and take control of what should be an honorable profession. I even want to reach out to the volunteers that act more professional than some of our paid "professionals"(used that very loosely for some of the losers in our field). Let us all get together and hammer out some basic minimum standards that exceed the crap that so many live down to. Then we can have are specialtys addressed at a later date. For those like in my case that need things that those in the city never need do not throw a fit as mentioned we are only establishing the minimums and your service can still wish to establish even higher levels. Lets move forward and do whats right. Lets do it now.

While some standards need revamping, as the article stated, the needs of a fire based system and a private system are entirely different. This is just another way for the fire service to weasel its way into the EMS industry to where there is no alternative but to do fire or get out from what I'm seeing. Having started in a fire based service, and staying there for several years before switching to the private EMS sector or county based (which is primarily what is in my area), I would never return. I was disgusted with how things were ran - granted that is my opinion, but fire and ems are two separate entities and the utilization of "paramedic engines" really is a diversion from putting an appropriate amount of ambulances on the road. The EMS crews were over worked and often exhausted while the fire crews sat back doing nothing. Granted there is a place for each in emergency services, but I'm all for the recent divorces that have been happening like crazy around here for fire and ems combined services. Also, how long until they start setting the standards for personnel? You know it's bound to happen. While EMS falling under the fire commission here has brought good changes overall, each know their place and function as a separate entity. Fire doesn't try to tell EMS how to run things, just like EMS doesn't try to tell fire how to do it's job. How many times has an ambulance showed up on a fire scene and told them how to do their job? Not many that I know of and if they told they were immediately told F off. However fire showing up telling us how to do our job is a frequent occurrance and we permit it. Not trying to rehash the old fire vs ems debate but is something to seriously consider here. EMS needs to declare itself as a separate entity now, or we'll see bad things happening. Fire has no place trying to design my CCT truck as they don't know what my needs are as that is not their specialty. Certain types of trucks won't fit into certain areas we serve and require a unique response - will NFPA alot for that? Probably not as their focus is large urban areas, not the middle of nowhere where you may have to cross a creek to get to someone's house or go up the side of a mountain ! Just things to think about before we jump on this bandwagon.

I can see it now... we will sometime in the next 20 or 30 years be on an engine or pickup-utility like squad and funeral homes will be back in the ambulance business. Dont have to worry about to few ambulances... since death is garunteed there is plenty of herses out there, and as far as staffing... well there are lots of people who want to be firefighters, we can just make them "want" to be paramedics also.

I can see it now... we will sometime in the next 20 or 30 years be on an engine or pickup-utility like squad and funeral homes will be back in the ambulance business. Dont have to worry about to few ambulances... since death is garunteed there is plenty of herses out there, and as far as staffing... well there are lots of people who want to be firefighters, we can just make them "want" to be paramedics also.

:shock:

it would go over like a fart in church if a couple medics decided they were going to design the newest firetruck....

:lol:

Im ganna put all the pump operators stuff on the (opposite) front passengers side compartment... that way I can get my medical gear right out of my jump seat. Then Im ganna replace the ladders with backboards, scoops and other immobilization equipment, leave the extrication stuff cuz we kinda need that to do our jobs, SCBAs replaced with O2. Replace the tank and pump with a compartment for a stretcher and patient care....

Wait a minute... come to think of it this already exists!

Yes count em up boys, this baby has 4 Federal Q sirens, 2 electronic sirens and 2 bells!

MTHoreb2.jpg

MTHoreb.jpg

These guys (with all respect) seem to have a thing with BIG trucks... I searched for MT Horeb on youtube.com and came across one of their engines. It looks like a wrecker for tractor trailers... you can see the very front of it to the right of the front shot of the ambulance. YES THIS IS A FIRST DUE AMBULANCE NOT A RESCUE.

Sounds like about 3/4 of my medic clas

The common phrase is " i just wanna fight fires, this medic crap is so i can get hired"

That's just the mindset I want in my prehospital providers !

Ive got nothing against making requirements for fire departments (that do not provide ambulance service) to have EMTs or MRTs... but the responsability of paramedics is far to great to "force" them to weild if they really want a job. Frankly Id like any firefighter whos assisting me to have at least some knowledge of what they are doing... but if Im the one bringing the ambulance, theres really no reason they should be outranking me.

Ive got nothing against making requirements for fire departments (that do not provide ambulance service) to have EMTs or MRTs... but the responsability of paramedics is far to great to "force" them to weild if they really want a job. Frankly Id like any firefighter whos assisting me to have at least some knowledge of what they are doing... but if Im the one bringing the ambulance, theres really no reason they should be outranking me.

I don't either

If that's what they want then go for it

My issue is with the guys/gals that have no interest in medicine other than passing the EMT-P exam to get the ticket and then never think about it again

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.