Career change from EMS to.......?

Fox800

Have you moved on from EMS to greener pastures? I want to hear your story. I'm still new to the game but I'm already looking into new things. I don't have a family to tie me down so I can really go anywhere and do anything. In particular I'm looking at becoming a military officer or pursuing a federal law enforcement position (FBI, Customs, State Department).

I'm supposed to start my prerequisites for medical school this week (I have a B.B.A. and none of the sciences I need). Somehow the future for physicians isn't looking as shiny...with baby boomers retiring, lawsuits, malpractice insurance, reimbursements down, etc.

Well, Ive been looking into the Red Cross. Starting at the lower end of the totem pole as a driver/technician Id be making $16.03 an hour full time, plenty of overtime and shift differential, union and bennefits. Id be driving the cargo trucks and setting up for the drives, handling, labeling and stocking donor blood and sometimes cheufering the BSNTs and nurses around too.

That same department is in charge of the BSNTs (phlebotomists) and nurses. If I choose to go for my BSNT its in house free training and then I can start out at almost $17 an hour with the same bennefits. They said at my interview nursing school (and some financial assistance) may be a possibility but having the time for it would be the tricky part.

If you are wanting to be a federal officer, you'd better apply before your 40th birthday. I looked in to Border Patrol and Federal Protective Service. Both had an age limit. And you would be up against all the vets with combat experience coming home.

And you would be up against all the vets with combat experience coming home.

Ive read in recent articles that more and more the Federal Governemt will take people with BS and Masters degrees over anything. Of course they would have to be something of relivance like computers and networking, foreign languages, psychology and such. But keep in mind this also... if your looking for a federal job and you think that a crimminal justice degree will be enough, chances are it wont. They want more education today.

There are MANY MANY Federal LE agencies,,,,, from Border PAtrol to PArk Ranger, to US PArk Police, to Capitol Police, the Secret Service, Agent or officer... Most federal LE jobs require you to be appointed either before your 37th or 40th birthday....some are investigative... others are more traditional chasing bad guys, some a a lot of drug and gun lock ups,, others do more protective security type work... depends on what uyou wnat to do ...... good luck,,, whateveryou decide i suggest riding or interning with the agency you think you want to work for, before you apply.... DO NOT BELIEVE what you see in movies about ANY agency, whether it is U.S Marshalls, the Fugitive, to Secret Service, to BP, etc...

Federal law enforcement also has something like a 75% divorce rate, just FYI.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH,, traditional police, Firefighter, Paramedic, and the allied health profession jobs Do not ???????????????

This whole Public Safety agency thing is in the high divorce catagory IMHO

I have never been a doctor, but i played one on TV. Most of my friends who are docs say if they had it do do over again, they wouldnt choose to be a doctor. If you do decide to stay with medical school, either become a Dermatologist or an ER Doc. Dermatologist do not get awaken at 3am for acne, nor do they have to work 14 hour days and "take call". ER Docs do not have the worry of the cost of "office overhead" and reimbursement for their services (most are paid by the hour).