Safer - More Functional Ambulance Design

Anybody doing anything new to make your ambulance safer or more functional ? Please share what your service does, in case anyone is about to order a new truck in their new budget year:

My suggestions are primarily for the box:

1. No sharp corners or edges.

2. No cabinetry above the bench seat (head safety).

3. Place padding on the wall above the bench seat where your head would hit (usually only has a back cushion), if you do not have captains seats on that bench.

4. Three point seat belts in box.

5. Have atleast two ceiling lights that are moveable/directional so that you can move the light where you want it, instead of having to move to where the light is.

6. Make the ALS compartment big enough that you do not have to bust your knuckles to get an IV or drug box out of the cabinet.

7. Finally, when you install that tattletale squak-box, instead of having it make a sound when you drive poorly, have it deliver an electrical shock to the driver's seat.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the hell was that video???

At first, I'm thinking that it is an ambulance exploding, then, it takes off like a bat out of hell, then, the caption shows that I'm looking at a trick vehicle, jet propulsion.

Where was this?

3. Place padding on the wall above the bench seat where your head would hit (usually only has a back cushion), if you do not have captains seats on that bench.

These are standards in new ambulance built in the US. This is what the inside of our new ambulances look like. They failed to tell us on spec'ing, that the over bench cabinet would NOT be included. Even though, we were still charged for it.. We just ordered another, but due to what I feel is disloyalty from our dealer, we've chosen to go w/ someone else.

laquin534.jpg

laquin194.jpg

disloyalty, that's downright fraud and they broke the terms of the contract/RFP/BID that you both signed. I'd ask for the money back from that unscrupulous dealer.

Make sure you let the dis-satisfaction get around too. Word of mouth will hurt that dealer.

But then again, what do you expect from a Car dealer?? :D

Let's start with a more secure system for mounting cots. I'm sure most of us have seen the videos where the cot launches right into the 911 seat.

No bench seat. Slideable bucket seats with 5-point harnesses.

3. Place padding on the wall above the bench seat where your head would hit

Padding everywhere there's a flat, unused surface.

Recessed grab bars.

All equipment in cabinets, brackets designed for the equipment held, or heavy duty straps with heavy-duty D-rings.

Cargo nets.

Heavy duty box construction, not the sissy stuff on the street now that fails catastrophically.

Reflective chervrons on the entire rear side and the inside of all outward-swinging doors.

More blue and amber lights on the rear than red.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.