NREMT Recert question...

swn919

Ok, I have a question. This will be my first time to recert, as a Paramedic for NREMT. I have taken a traditional 48-hour refresher course, this would leave me with 24-hours of CEs to get. ACLS can count for as many as 16 hours, I'm guessing that because my ACLS with just be the refresher course, it will only count for 8 hours(?). That would leave me with 16 hours of CEs left to do. So with that said, and if I'm correct I can take 16 hours from any CEs sub-group correct?

Thanks,

Scott

I'm not so sure that ACLS counts towards the "additional 24 hour" requirement. I recently received my NREMT paperwork in the mail and it has five major requirements, each of them separate:

1. Refresher Training (or examination)

2. CPR Certification

3. ACLS Certification

4. 24 hours CEU

5. Verification of Skill Competence

The way its written (and I agree its a little confusing), it seems to me that ACLS hours are separate from the CEU hours. There are a few guidelines for the CEUs, which read:

1. You may accrue no more than 12 hours towards this section from distributive education, and must be approved by CECBEMS or your state. For a listing of approved programs go to www.CECBEMS.org.

2. All continuing education must have been completed within the current certification cycle. If this is your first recertification, only continuing education completed after the date of initial certification will be accepted.

There doesn't seem to be any restriction on what subjects were covered for your 24 hour CEUs, only that they meet the "approval" standard of CECBEMS or your state.

Good luck!

Ok, yeah that is what I got as well. I pulled this from the NREMT website:

1. Refresher

Complete an

approved DOT

National Standard

EMT-Paramedic

Refresher

48 hours

2. Additional

Continuing

Education Hours

Additional EMS

related Continuing education

24 hours

REQUIREMENTS

4. CPR Certification

NOTE: A total of 72 hours of EMS education is required to re-register. Requirements for re-registration are listed below.

Hours from the above courses can be applied hour for hour with no maximum: Advanced Trauma Life Support, Refresher Course Instruction, and Wilderness EMS Training.

Courses That Cannot Be Applied Towards Additional Continuing Education Hours: Clinical Rotations, CPR, First Responder Course, Home Study Programs, Instructor Courses, Management/Leadership Courses, Performance of Duty, Preceptor Hours, Serving as a skill examiner, and Volunteer time with agencies.

To obtain locations for continuing education, contact your state EMS office or local EMS training center.

Thank you for your commitment to re-registering your certification. NREMT certification gives you recognized credibility across the nation, and demonstrates your desire to serve the public with the highest of standards. Your certification will continue to serve you well during the course of your EMS career.

Paramedic

Re-registration Requirements

3. ACLS

Submission of approved ACLS equivalent to current AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC. Credential must be current through March 31. Verification may be in the form of a card or certificate.

The Paramedic refresher course can be completed through two different options:

(1) Traditional refresher course

Completion of an approved 48 hour DOT National Standard Paramedic Refresher or CECBEMS approved refersher course.

(2) Continuing education topical hours

Paramedic refresher may be completed by

continuing education* and must include both mandatory and flexible content. See the reverse

side for more information.

Submission of approved CPR credential for the professional rescuer. Credential must be current through the March 31. Verification may be in the form of an instructor’s signature on the re-registration form or copies of both sides of a current card.

The following are maximum hours per course that can be applied towards Additional Continuing Education hours:

 A maximum number of 12 hours can be applied from any one topic area.

A maximum number of 16 hours can be applied from each of the following courses:

• ABLS • PALS

• ACLS • PEPP

• AMLS • PHTLS

• BTLS • PPC

• NALS • AE

 A maximum number of 12 hours can be applied from each of the following courses: Teaching CPR

• Emergency Driving • Dispatch Training.

 A maximum number of 12 hours can be applied from Distributive Education towards this section and must be state or CECBEMS approved.

College Courses

The following are maximum hours per college course that can be applied towards additional continuing education hours:

 A maximum number of 12 hours can be applied from:

• Anatomy • Pharmacology

• Cellular Biology • Physiology

• Chemistry • Psychology

• Microbiology

I guess what my main question is.

If you don't do the traditional refresher, you are required to take CEs from the Manditory subgroup and from the flex subgroup... If you take the traditional refresher is there and rhyme or reason to the CEs other then no more then 12 hours from any one subgroup?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.