Edmonton Medics Have Heart Attacks

Quakefire

Yeah my training is endurance training, I'll jump out of the moving ambulance and hope to god my feet have the endurance and speed to match the speed of the ambulance going in the opposite direction.

Unless its inservice, Saskatchewan provides no self defence training, other than booking it when you see the gun

I wonder why SIAST removed it. When I took my medic training there in 1992 it included self defense training and pressure point control tactics and that was when the program was only 10 months long. Now that it's 18 one would think they wouldn't have needed to eliminate it. Unfortunate though, it's come in handy for me a few times.

Shrug, besides, I don't know that self defense training would have been of benefit in this anyways. If a guy is pointing a gun in my face he's going to get exactly what he demands. In this case, it sounds like it went down thusly:

Medic 1: "He's Got a gun!"

Patient: Pulls gun "stand back and let me out!"

Medic 1 and Medic 2 stand back and wave bye bye as gunman bolts for the exit.

That would have been my response. Let the cops deal with him.

In shcool I received only hand to hand training which consisted of pressure points, take downs, and defending yourself on the ground etc. The only weapons "training" was in a book which told me the difference between cover and concealment. (Bush vs your ambulances engine block or wheels.)

None of which would help in this situation and no one at my rural service wears a vest. (Where level II's which Calgary and Edmonton are useless against majority of weapons out here which are hunting rifles.) But in this case would of stopped the 9mm(?) which this person had. (If he shot their chest.)

Glad they are safe hopefully this is the first and last incident in Alberta for some time.

I never had any training. All about using your charm :love5: ....yea right. The worst situation I have been in was for a psych pt (which at the time we didnt realise was one)and left against our advice to get his shotgun. In that situation tho, we had plenty of time to RUN to our unit leaving all equipment behind.

There is only so much you can do and when that adrenaline is running for everyone on board, hard to know what it is you would do until you are put in that situation.

I've only been shot at once. Call came in for chest pain, we drove 20 minutes to the scene. As we drive up a 100 or so metre drive way we see the front door open. A figure steps onto the porch as we pull up to about 30 metres away and levels a shotgun at us. Our heads connect as we both hit the floor between the seats. The weapon discharged and our light bar disappeared in an explosion of aluminum and plastic. A quick peek showed him reloading the ol' double barrel so my driver pinned it in reverse and backed record speed down the driveway.

From the safety of the road as we called for the police, we could hear him yelling at us...."Oh!! Sorry boys!! I tought you were da cops!!"

Needless to say, he soon had an opportunity to shoot at their light bars too. He never did though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.