Glucagon without an IV

Reddfrogg

We can't do complete rule-outs in the field. We have neither the equipment nor the education to do such a thing, which is why nobody but the very few with extremely liberal protocols can do it. I don't tell ANYBODY that they don't need to go to the hospital. I tell them I haven't personally found anything, but that doesn't mean much because I only have so much training and so many resources at hand. I don't care how experienced you are, paramedics don't have the ability to tell someone they are not sick.

That doesn't mean I won't take an AMA refusal on anyone though, provided they are alert and oriented and I am satisfied that I have made them aware of the risk.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People please, the topic of the thread is the administration of IM glucagon without an IV in situ. Some interesting facts have come through in the thread of including push the dextrose, yes some areas can do it, others cant, the administation of glucose rectally *which I had heard of fluids rectally and meds but not glucose, but a good point none the less*

This is turning into another EMT City brawl, please please I am sure the original author of this thread did not intend it to get to this level.

I am not wanting to name individuals as I don't personally want to end up on a hate list, but please can we get to the topic at hand, if you want to discuss transport or not to transport with substantiating evidence, then please do so in a new topic.

Thank you

Scotty

I am not wanting to name individuals as I don't personally want to end up on a hate list, but please can we get to the topic at hand, if you want to discuss transport or not to transport with substantiating evidence, then please do so in a new topic.

Thank you

Scotty

I hate you. Hows that? lol :twisted: :D

Yes back on track so we can learn. We have all stated our opinions multiple times on transport discusions and after a vote it was determined I was the only right one. So no point in restarting it. :shock:

We can't do complete rule-outs in the field. We have neither the equipment nor the education to do such a thing, which is why nobody but the very few with extremely liberal protocols can do it

Yes we do, we do it all the time. Some of us just don't realize it.

Take your "diff breather" call. A basic assessment should point to whether it is an asthmatic, COPDer, CHFer, PE, pneumothorax, pneumonia etc, even with PMHx of "all of the above". We should already have ruled out some of the other possibilities prior to treatment beyond that of positioning and O2. The reason the poorer providers out there give nitrates and lasix (and God forbid, CPAP) to patients with pneumonia, is down to poor assessment skills, which neglects a consideration towards other co-morbidities, which present with similar (go figure :roll: ) initial findings.

This is the principle behind what AMLS are trying to endorse - possibilities to probabilities / ruling out and ruling in. It makes perfect sense if one knows what to look for, and it also encourages clinical development and a further understanding of common disease processes...

…or we can just load and go.

Looking to relocate though, how's the job market out in AZ? I lived in Gilbert when I was a kid.

Waiting to see if AZ admits to you that EMS is even worse in AZ than in MI.

I'd never want to work there, that's for sure.

Do ya make more per hour there than as a greeter at WalMart? :wink: might be worth the wait :lol:

AZ is much like California, but much worse. Almost all EMS jobs are fire department.

But yeah, if you are a firemonkey, you make more than a Wally World greeter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.