Glucagon without an IV

Reddfrogg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crotch I will not get into this debate again. You are heading back down the road where you act as if you are the only right person. I have never talked a person out of going to the hospital. I do not deny transport to people because I am lazy, I deny transport because I am an Emergency Medical Professional and not a taxi. I perform an exam and even provide treatment. If they do not need an ambulance they are denied. If I think they need an ambulance I will try and persuade them with all my heart but if the say no I can do nothing but get a signature and document.

A trauma patient gets immediate care on scene why ahould we delay care to medical patients just to make sure they don't wake up and say no. Your actions speak poorly of your ethics. Sorry but I will not start IV's just to try and get ALS pay rates and I will not delay care in order to get transports.

Someone who transports patients to the hospital who have suffered and altered level of consciousness indicates poor ethics ?

No, and in general, AMS patients who continue to be so, should be checked out.

But someone who willingly, and without question, transports a patient who is alert and orientated x 3, with no complaints, and no desire to go to the hospital for the umpteenth time, only to receive a sandwich and discharge, following a transient change in MS, consistent with a long-standing co-morbidity (long sentence)...does indicate poor clinical judgement.

Or perhaps you are advocating taking every piss-head into the ED for a CT brain, because they were slurring their words the night before having downed their 7th Jack and Coke.

Your rational is flawed and outdated.

Hang on a minute.

Are you honestly saying that any time someone sees someone in a bar, at a football game, or a concert, who appears to be under the influence of ETOH, they should immediately dial 911?

That's the kind of mentality which contributes to the bottlenecking in the EDs, and causes a delay in care for the more acute patients.

Unbelievable ](*,)

No, being drunk is not necessarily an emergency, but once someone suffers an injury or illness while drunk, and an ambulance is summoned, I believe that the EMS crew should transport. As stated previously, someone who is under the influence can not understand the consequences, and their signature on a refusal form is therefore worthless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.