Hey Female EMSers, Are we still Pigs ????

crotchitymedic1986

As a female, I get hit on _______ times per shift  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• none
    • 1-5 times
    • more than 10 times

I remember the first attractive female EMS employee we had on the ambulance. It was the late 80's, and attractive women in EMS was rare. What I remember most is that she got hit on everywhere we went. I mean like 20+ times per shift, and it didnt stop we she got engaged and started wearing a ring. Medics, emts, ffs, cops, mechanics, nurses, doctors, fast food workers --- if they were breathing, they were hitting on her. So now that women and attractive women are not as rare, I wonder if we are still the pigs we were back then ?

Ladies ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine, a very attractive woman, once told me that she was continually hit on, here, there, and everywhere. She hated it, didn't understand it, felt she never invited it, tried to discourage it, and didn't know how to make it stop. She eventually became a student of eastern and western spirituality, and told me that one day, pondering these experiences that she felt as attacks, she had an image of herself in a previous lifetime as a man, doing the same thing to the women around him. As soon as she began to live with that image, she said, the harassment simply stopped.

Conclusion? Well, let's start with what not to conclude. We don't conclude that her image must have been a true one. We don't conclude that, even if it was in any sense a true one, that the same dynamic must be operating in other instances. We certainly don't conclude that individuals who feel like harassing others are entitled to do so because they're enforcing karmic payback; the doctrine of karma doesn't recruit conscious executors from among the eager vengeful.

But irrespective of our openness to the possibility of reincarnation as an instrument of cosmic justice ("What goes around comes around"), we do know that in at least this one case, simply imagining herself capable of injuring others to the extent that she was being injured disinvited receiving further injury of that type. As an exercise in imagination, it probably can't hurt to identify with one's aggressors, without in any way having to believe that the aggression is legitimate, and without at all reducing one's right to defend oneself against encroachments on one's dignity.

Maybe empathy (which prevents harassment), especially across the differences between men and women, would be easier to come by if we make an effort to locate what's essentially human in each person, whose value in itself is more significant than what attracts or repels us in our meetings, and which speaks through what's specifically male or female. Might a masher feel less tempted to oppress a target who, through interest and respect, imaginatively locates the lonely person masked as a predator? Could a target's compassionate attitude convert an opportunist? My friend claimed it did. That, or, of course, a swift kick in the nuts.

I have not been on the receiving or giving end of any "hitting on" at work.

Lucky me.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I have been hit on a few times but I had a sure fire way of making it stop...I guess they wanted to keep the family Jewels in tact :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.