Ever Carry a Gun on the Ambulance ?

Ever Carried a Gun on the ambulance  

60 members have voted

1. 1.

• All the time
    • Rarely
    • Never

Ok I have been watching this thread for quite awhile and I have some opinions on it. I do own a firearm I am licensed to conceal carry in the State which I live I have never carried my weapon on an ambulance I carry it to work I lock it in my locker at HQ. I am the only one who has a key to my locker. I do my shift after that I Open my locker change and take my gun with me. I have worked with partners who carry weapons usually in the ankle since our company policy does not allow weapons on your person. Do I feel safer knowing that they are carrying HELL NO. I actually feel worse. What if they get in a tussle with a psych patient and it falls lose.... I rest my case... I never have and never will carry a gun on my person....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have and will allow a gun to be carried in the ambulance but it has to be locked up in the cabinet. It is not available for quick response by us or a mental patient. Even cops have to lock their gun in the cabinet when the ride or drive us. We are in a confined space and I can get to you faster than you can get a gun from the holster. If defense is needed in the ambulance we have had numerous topics about how to use just about every item in the ambulance to do the minimum in order to regain control.

We have and will allow a gun to be carried in the ambulance but it has to be locked up in the cabinet. It is not available for quick response by us or a mental patient. Even cops have to lock their gun in the cabinet when the ride or drive us. We are in a confined space and I can get to you faster than you can get a gun from the holster. If defense is needed in the ambulance we have had numerous topics about how to use just about every item in the ambulance to do the minimum in order to regain control.

"O2 Therapy" Will always look more accidental and be easier to explain than a GSW that did not occur prior to your arrival :twisted:

Ok I have been watching this thread for quite awhile and I have some opinions on it. I do own a firearm I am licensed to conceal carry in the State which I live I have never carried my weapon on an ambulance I carry it to work I lock it in my locker at HQ. I am the only one who has a key to my locker. I do my shift after that I Open my locker change and take my gun with me. I have worked with partners who carry weapons usually in the ankle since our company policy does not allow weapons on your person. Do I feel safer knowing that they are carrying HELL NO. I actually feel worse. What if they get in a tussle with a psych patient and it falls lose.... I rest my case... I never have and never will carry a gun on my ambulance....

ok so it was just pointed out to me that I made a serious error with my post I have made the change in bold so that it does say what I meant for it to say... Thanks Lone

I think that wearing a vest is a good idea, if you have the area/need for it! It protects you, as an ems provider (safety of yourself is #1)!! But do I believe in carrying a gun on an ambulance......?? If we where meant to carry guns and possibly use them (why have one, if you don't think you are going to possibly use it?) we would have been trained in emt class on how to carry and use a gun! We are there as emts to fix injuries no cause more!! I have heard of some police emt response units (mostly FR though) ....but they have been trained and not only carry an emt patch but a police patch as well.....

~Kitty Kat~

*meow*

Sorry kitty kat, in my EMT or Paramedic class I was not trained to use:

12-Lead, Pulse Oximeters, Glucometers, Pacing, probably 50-75% of the drugs that are now on ambulances, PPE, IO needles, IV pumps, a computer, a direct connect cell phone or radio with multiple functions, safety needles, sharps containers, one-man stretchers, stair chairs, a broselowe tape, CPAP, or a portable ventilator.

Why, cause it was over 20 years ago, and these things had not been developed or were not common in EMS yet.

Just because it wasnt taught in your class, doesnt mean you wont need it one day. Our society continues to grow more and more violent, with little regard for human life.

I didnt get the chance to use the MARK-I kit or the escape hood that was on my ambulance, but it was there if I needed it.

I've mentioned FDNY, and the FDNY EMS do not allow members to have firearms on department premises. Locking such weapon into a locker is not good, either.

Department regulations read that the department has the right to cut locks on lockers under specific and specified conditions, in the presence of a supervisor, if possible a union rep, and the NYPD. Weapons and potable alcohol found in the lockers is an offence could get a member fired.

I don't think a cop would feel too comfortable with that. Yes, it's confined space, but as soon as your driver brakes and pulls over, you can exit (yes, there might be a delay). We almost had a use of force case when a PCP patient broke his restraints on the freeway and deputy's taser had no effect...my partner could have been killed in seconds...

I am hopped up on narcs, from a wisdom teeth extraction today. So excuse my lack of research, does anyone know the supreme court case that states police do not have to protect the public? As in, if I get shot on the street, I can't blame the police for keeping it from happening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.