The EMTCity Test

For instance: Challenge to medics - Please describe "Starlings Law".

Starlings Law is the concept that the strength of a cardiac contraction increases as the cardiac muscle stretches. This is due to two physiological changes in the cardiac muscles. First, as the muscle stretches the myosin heads are able to connect more efficiency with the actin. Second, the stretched cells are more permeable to Ca[sup:a98158dba8]++[/sup:a98158dba8] which also increases the strength of the contraction. To induce an increase in cardiac output via this mechanism the end diastolic volume has to be increased by increasing venous return.

Edit: Opps, I didn't notice that this was geared towards medics, sorry about that. :D :twisted:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making up a test sounds like fun. I use to make up tests as entrance exams into certain classes. I'll have to try and find my old notes.

I agree on not making it so hard as to try to stump everyone. They should be current curriculum for the profession. No off-the-wall curve ball questions that only 1 :100,00 would know.

Let me know when it's all set up, or is it already?

Yeah Crotchity, really bad form to announce your "possible next thread" by hijacking this one...

Just sayin'....

Dwayne

Edited to correct capitalization only, second edit because I forgot to explain the first.

yeah Crotchity, really bad form to announce your "possible next thread" by hijacking this one...

Just sayin'....

Dwayne

HEY YOU!!!

That was going to be my next possible post...dang it.

Seriously, I did think about it but I am a good boy and refrained. :)

Gee I Like Tests---Will it be Multiple Choice, True False, Essay(Yuk).

But whose idea was this anyway------Really only tests that means something is the National Registry Test- To us that NR carded

As a Instructor--I can write a Mean Tests-------But we don't need one for EMT City

Like the Hippies of old--what we need is love and understanding among the masses-----------------------------------------------Not

Okay folks since there doesn't seem to be a tonne of debate on topics or format I'd like to start firming this up a bit. I need someone experienced (or two) to volunteer to act as the question reviewers/editers. The ideal suck- er volunteer would have a mind for anal retentive details. After that we need people to start putting their name down for a topic they'd like to do a question on. I'll edit the first post to reflect these including whether the question has been completed yet.

Once again I'd like these questions to be largely essay/short answer. Multiple choice, True/False and Matching are too easy for this test. Remember you not only have to write the question, but the answer (in detail) as well. You're encouraged to make these difficult, but should be within the realm of what a new provider should know. Don't be forgiving of medic mill education, write based on what one ought to know, not what they were likely taught. If you're not sure whether a question would be appropriate, feel free to PM me or whoever gets stuck being the editor.

Thanks for the interest so far guys. I'm excited to put this resource together and to use it to study.

- Matt

Matt- I'll be an editor.

Let me know what all you want me to do. I'll also write and research questions if needed. But you'll have to edit me in that happenstance.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I have a few ideas for great questions. They are based more on the physiological changes of disease and intervention however.

Take care,

chbare.

I think these are the best questions, and most often missed in standardized tests. They force one to walk through multisystem anatomy and physiology, which is where many, including myself of course, are weakest. I'm almost certain that I didn't have a single such question on the NR.

I for one would love to see your questions.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.