The EMTCity Test

So as I was studying a couple days ago I was really frustrated with how simple the practice questions in the workbook (Bledsoe) was. The questions were straight forward and didn't require a great deal of combination of concepts. So I got to thinking about how I could better test myself and what resources I could use. I decided one of the best one's I have is right here on the forums and I got an idea.

The EMTCity Test! My idea is to have members create a few good questions that test cummulative knowledge and really challenge a new (or newer) provider. I was hoping that some of seasoned vets on here would be willing to take on a question or two and post it on here (with the answers behind spoilers please).

We'd set out a list of categories that the questions would address, but the question would not be required to only deal with that area. So for example, if the question involved a Pt. with diabetes, that doesn't mean that their previous heart condition wouldn't need to be considered. The questions should also require knowledge of pathophysiology, A&P and pharmacology and should not be answerable in short sentence fragments. The questions should not be geared for any particular level of training (Basic vs. Medic) and should not focus on skills. Personally I'm okay with treatment being a bonus, but with such different scopes, I'd prefer the focus on the knowledge.

Obviously this project will rely on the goodwill and interest of members and in order for that to work we'll need to make sure everyone agrees. So this is open for discussion at this point to finalize the plan and details and once that's done we'll start collecting questions. Once that is done (and after I've attempted them myself) I'll type up the questions and answers and post the pdf here for public dissemination and send the open word document to all the contributors for their own use.

My current thinking on the test format is ten categories (below) with three questions for each.

1) Respiratory

2) Cardiology

3) Neurology

4) Musculoskeletal

5) Renal and Urology

6) Obstetrics and Neonatology

7) Toxicology

8) Gastrointestinal

9) Trauma

10) Miscellaneous

I hope there are others who are on board or interested in this idea. I think this could be a really positive project and would be really useful for myself and hopefully other students and newbies out there. I look forward to discussing this with everyone and please feel free to PM me if so inclined.

- Matt

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah man, outstanding idea!

Can I suggest a moderator to filter your questions before making up your final document? The reason I say this is that the questions should be a quiz, but educational as well, you don't want to incorporate all the questions from every limp weenie that wants to play, "stump the City" instead of participate in the spirit you intend..see what I mean? (My opinion only of course. Not trying to challenge your idea.)

Now where could we find a moderator? Hmmmm...someone with experience in EMS and teaching, done everything, perhaps stuck in a war zone with a little extra time on their hands, has a good grasp of testing concepts, already has 'moderator' attached to their name...Hmmmm.....nope, I got nothin'.....

Wait, is that a volunteer?

matterhorn_yeti.jpg

Outstanding!!

Great idea though! I too will try and participate to the best of my ability.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I appreciate the volunteering and would be happy to have you play J. Jonah Jameson on this one. (Spider-man anyone?)

How about this? Once we have the categories locked in when people take on a question we'll put their name down beside the category. And to keep the questions varied, we'll ask that people only do one question per category until they're all done. (Unless of course they have a really good one, or its a multi-part question)

This was going to be my next topic to post. I was going to suggest that we challenge each other with a similar format of the "take it or leave it post". Here is how it would work:

1. You post the hardest question you can think of to either EMTs or Medics. The rest of us could try to answer it (no googling, use the honor system). When you answered it, you had to post another difficult question. My original thought was to limit it to EMS textbook subjects, but then I thought, why limit it to that, maybe we could learn something new if we didnt have those boundaries.

For instance: Challenge to medics - Please describe "Starlings Law".

:D:D:D

Well DH...I'm flattered that you'd think I would qualify under the above description, but I'm not even close. I was actually hinting at another member here, some of us in Afghanistan call him Yeti, for reasons that are obvious should you meet him in person. And with previous MODERATOR experience, it seemed like it might be a good fit. But it's ak...I mean Ok if he's not up for it..I don't want to put him on the spot.

Have a great day all.....

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.