Most Unusual Home Remedy or Treatment You have witnessed ..

We often get calls and are told that the patient is ok now they just want them checked out to be sure. Or sometimes we're told the evil eye was stronger so they need more help and want to go.

"In Mexico and Central America, infants are considered at special risk for evil eye (see mal de ojo, above) and are often given an amulet bracelet as protection, typically with an eye-like spot painted on the amulet. Another preventive measure is allowing admirers to touch the infant or child; in a similar manner, a person wearing an item of clothing that might induce envy may suggest to others that they touch it or some other way dispel envy.

One traditional cure in rural Mexico involves a curandero (folk healer) sweeping a raw chicken egg over the body of a victim to absorb the power of the person with the evil eye. The egg is later broken into a glass and examined. (The shape of the yolk is thought to indicate whether the aggressor was a man or a woman.) In the traditional Hispanic culture of the Southwestern United States and some parts of Mexico, an egg is passed over the patient and then broken into a bowl of water. This is then covered with a straw or palm cross and placed under the patient’s head while he or she sleeps; alternatively, the egg may be passed over the patient in a cross-shaped pattern. The shape of the egg in the bowl is examined in the morning to assess success."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early-twentieth-century Mississippi:

>When I entered the kitchen I found her pacing

ponderously back and forth through the door that opens

on the back gallery. It seemed a strange procedure. Louisa

was not given to exercise, at least not of that kind. The fol-

lowing colloquy ensued:

"Louisa, what are you doing?"

"I stuck a nail in my foot."

"Why don't you go to the doctor?"

"I'se gettin' the soreness out."

"You can't walk it out."

"Naw, suh, the nail is drawing it out"

"What nail?"

"The nail I stepped on."

"Where is it?"

Louisa pointed to the lintel of the door. A nail hung

from it by a piece of string; under it Louisa was pacing. I

left her pacing.<

I won't get into what all I had heard about in LA, especially down around New Orleans. If I did it would be going over my head because I still don't understand most of it. But there is some real strange stuff going on down there.

I've not only seen the alcohol trick I've had it used on me when I was a kid. Went in to the ER smelling of 151 proof Jamacian rum, and strangely enough I had to have a chat with Children's Aid after that one, LOL. I have also seen another odd home remedy around where I work, it's the use of evergreen tree resin on cuts. A lot of the "Older" loggers around here swear by it. If they cut themselves while felling trees they smear evergreen tree resin on the cut and apparently it seals the injury tight and promotes healing.

A 'doctor' my folks knew about prescribed the urine thing. Along with coffee enemas and all that holistic health.

My dad did take things like shark cartilage, MSM, rose hips, ginger, bee pollen, and some vitamins. He would try to ge me to do some of those treatments, which I tended to decline. I would sort of tease my dad about taking a whole list of things, but I added "eye of newt, raven's claw, testicles of bat, etc."

I know things like MSM and shark cartilage can be beneficial in the long run, but some of that stuff there was no way I'd even consider it.

Strangest one I saw was on a hispanic gent who lac'ed his L. FA open with a table saw. From the looks of the ground, it was bleeding bad, but when we got there, the family (who no one spoke english...of course :twisted: ) had put sugar on the wound to stop the bleeding. It worked...when we got there, there was VERY little bleeding. So...we were stuck with a situation...irrigate the wound and blow the clot out, or leave the sugar in place (which had totally congealed by then) and let the bacteria munch on it for the trip to the ED. Short story long, we left it in place and let the hospital irrigate it (Pt went to OR for the irrigation...wound was VERY deep).

http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/nen042

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2001/supp...icant-full.html

interesting read.

pfft tiger penis only works for tigers Micheal DUH !

And if I were you Arizonaffcep and seeing as they have pulled quick clot .... get a patent.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.