Any tax benefits given to volunteer EMS personal?

ghurty

In Montgomery County, MD there is a LOSAP program. You get 1 point per standby and you need 50 LOSAP points to qualify as an active member. You can receive other points for collateral duties such as BINGO organization, map work, etc... and you get training point. 1 point for every 2 hour drill involving 2 or more people. If you get 50 LOSAP points the next year you get a $200 check. After 5 years of active service you get other benefits like a tax deduction and after 10 years I believe you might get a monthly stipend or something of the sort. you can find more information at mcvfra.org

In Australia there is no benefit for volunteering apart from:

- Free Food, especially the scones and sandwiches you get at the national ladies lawn bowls tournament.

- Great seats to good concerts and sporting events.

- Access to all areas at the good concerts.

- Free training with nationality recognised certificates.

- There are quiet a few people who I enjoy their company and like working with.

- Oh, and that warm fussy feeling you get when you patch someone up?

There is really no financial benefit to volunteering, in fact it's highly likely you'll be out of pocket if you volunteer.

Check with a professional. There are so many variables involved that could make you eligible or ineligible that any thing we say might be true in one persons case but not in yours. When I was a volly I never even considered trying for a tax break though, as I was not looking for any benefit for myself, not that its wrong just saying. But be careful whose advice you take as it could bite you in the butt.

Any posts not related to the posters main subject will be deleted. This IS NOT going to turn into a bash volly thread.

OK, here is a different spin...

As well as other things, I am a volly and I get the following: A break on housing tax (about $1,500 a year), LOSAP, a shit load of expensive uniforms and non uniform clothing, as many free CME courses as you can sign up for such as ACLS, PHTLS, PALS, PEPP, AMLS etc, full reimbursement for a paramedic course, gift vouchers at Christmas, All-expense paid parties, the use of Chief cars for the likes of shopping trips (well we are in a recession), the use of the free gymnasium in the firehouse (some also have saunas, bars, and games rooms) and as much free food you can eat from the never-ending refrigerator.

I am sure we all agree that I am worth every penny of the tax payers money :roll:

First off, someone translate LOSAP?

Second, I understand one can take some kind of tax credit at a set formula for vehicle miles traveled regarding volunteer work.

Third, both paid and unpaid EMS personnel can get some tax credit for products and training, listed as a cost of doing business. Your agency wants you to carry a stethoscope and scissors, but won't supply them? It goes under CODB.

There's probably more, localized as to location in the country, or what country.