pediatric respiratory distress videos

zzyzx

Any one who thinks this should be put out there for eveyone to see should be shot in my opinion.

Why? A picture is worth a thousand words. Would you like the first time someone actually sees this is in the field when they are responsible for the care of this patient? We had similar videos in PALs certification classes and I think they are invaluable. I think the OP posting of this is doing a service and I recommend all EMS providers (and possible any parent of a small child) view all of them.

EMTDumbass wrote, "Any one who thinks this should be put out there for everyone to see should be shot in my opinion. "

Well, it's certainly not pleasant to see these kids in distress. However, we very rarely see kids this sick out in the field, so it's an important part of our education to be familiar with how they may present.

Any one who thinks this should be put out there for eveyone to see should be shot in my opinion.

Any one who thinks it is acceptable to toss out such an ignorant and inflammatory remark on a professional educational forum without explaining their point of view intelligently should be arse raped in my opinion.

Thanks zzyx, those videos were excellent!

The epiglottitis was a real eye openner and helped put that condition into context that the drawings in the text couldn't.

The others will give me a good comparison point for the first time I see pediatric respiratory distress.

Appreciate it!

Emtdumbass, (what an unfortunate handle) take a closer look and you'll see they're all videos from clinical settings. The kids are getting treatment and we're given the chance to learn a bit. Look past the emotional knee jerk of a child in distress and you'll see that there's no harm done and some room to learn a bit more than the textbook can show.

Didnt watch the ones posted, but I do remember a Russian Medical School video that showed a girl (I think about 10-12 years old), going all the way from minor distress, to arrest. It was disturbing to watch, but I will never forget the lessons it taught me.

But then again, I come from the generation where they showed films of dead bodies and horrible trauma from MVC patients in drivers ed to scare you into not speeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Good teaching vids. Working in the Pedi ICU at Children's I can tell you this time of year our unit is full of these kids. Plus at least once a shift we get MET paged for resp. distress on the floor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.