Young Paramedics

Timmy

Even in areas like yours a paramedic that young just seems too inexperienced

An inexperienced medic is an inexperienced medic at any age.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah im kinda wondering the same thing. In Colorado you cant even be an EMT until you are 18 years of age and to qualify for paramedic school you need at least a year of EMT-B experience. I can see a 19 or 20 year old paramedic but one year isnt nearly enough experience to go into paramedic school.

I started doing all this stuff when I was pretty young. Twenty to be exact.

The biggest difference between then and now is,

When I first started I knew what I knew

These days I know what I don't know

I'm sure the experienced people know what I'm talking about here. And if you don't get it - you will one day

Stay safe,

Curse :devil:

I think that it is a combination of education, maturity and "mentorship". As stated before age is just a number, it does not guarantee anything. Look at the military. There you have 19 and 20 year olds responsible for teams and squads that may have as many as 20 troops with all there associated equipment and gear that can sometimes total several million dollars. They did not ascend to that position because they were the oldest, but because they have earned it and are mature enough to have handle it.

I remember being a 22 y/o sergeant in the Marines responsible for a section of 16 Marines of varying ages with all their equipment and baggage. I worked hard to get there. I went to the appropriate schools and took the required classes (education). I spent a lot of time in new and unfamiliar situations with some one standing over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't screwing up. As I showed mastery of the skill I was given new tasks and responsibilities grooming me for more responsibility later on. My superiors before me were both great and sucked ass. I learned from all of it taking away things that worked and didn't. They were all examples (mentorship). I grew up really fast in the Marines becoming mature way faster than if I didn't enlist (maturity).

We need to increase the amount of education required in EMS. Providers need to know why they are seeing something, what they are seeing and then know why they are doing an intervention. I've been working in EMS for almost three years. May partner will tell that you she has been doing this for over 12 years. We are both basics. I am a "why" driven individual always trying to learn what it is going on etc. She has been doing things the same way since she started and only knows that. Forget about trying to tell her there is another way to do something. We couldn't be more different and it drives me absolutely crazy. I'm a clinician and evolving, and she is technician. You would think that with all her time she would have the experience and maturity; I don't. She still has a grab adn go mentality. I've also learned more about what not to do from her (reverse mentorship).

I agree with what Curse said, "When I first started I knew what I knew. These days I know what I don't know." To be able to recognize that in one's self is the maturity that is needed with this job. That doesn't come from age but from knowing one's self.

Yeah im kinda wondering the same thing. In Colorado you cant even be an EMT until you are 18 years of age and to qualify for paramedic school you need at least a year of EMT-B experience. I can see a 19 or 20 year old paramedic but one year isnt nearly enough experience to go into paramedic school.

Why?

You can give your life in the military, but you cant be a medic ?? But on the flip side, all careers that require a degree have a pseudo minimum age in that you have to have 2-4 years of college to get the job, which means you cant be 18. This is why so many fire departments are unprofessional, because they hire kids who have never worked in a corporate environment, and do not know how to behave.

...one year isnt nearly enough experience to go into paramedic school.

One year is one year too much experience to go to paramedic school.

Have you ever even been to paramedic school? Have you ever taught paramedic school? Or are you just parroting what you heard some other people saying? Upon what vast experience do you base this mistaken opinion?

lol what i was trying to say is that being an EMT-B for just a year and then becoming a paramedic just is not enough experience on the basic level. I had a very intelligent instructor tell me a good paramedic comes from a good EMT.

lol what i was trying to say is that being an EMT-B for just a year and then becoming a paramedic just is not enough experience on the basic level. I had a very intelligent instructor tell me a good paramedic comes from a good EMT.

He was wrong. Again why is EMS the only medical field that claims its people need to stop at a level work, then go forward? Common sense says more education is the key to better patient care.

For emphasis I qoute myself below.

UMMM

Horse crap. Why are we the only medical profession that claims this crap?

Edited by spenac

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.