Young Paramedics

Timmy

I don't see age as an issue as long as the person is willing to learn & to take on the responsibility. When I was a young medic, I was fortunate to have two very good mentors who took the time to mentor & teach me. I think that the best thing that a new medic can do is to find a good mentor & learn as much as they possibly can!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious though, are you saying that they are to young to do the job or that the drinking age is rediculous considering the responsabilites someone of that age can take on? Im just curious, not trying to bash you in any way.

I'm not sure. I work side by side with this exact age bracket for a living (they also make up most of my patient population), and for every one that I'd trust with a drug (be it morphine or alcohol), there's 20 I wouldn't.

They can't prevent you from going to medic school. But my company provides full sponsorship and full pay, during the time your in class. They buy books uniforms supplies, and when you in class, you get paid, who doesn't want that. Everybody does or At least i do. Its great.

As for working as an emt b on an als rig. I worked with a paramedic for 1.5 years. which I have learned a lot from the calls that we have ran. I don't just go to work to drive. I go to work to learn. I always ask question about certain calls, and the medic that I work with loves to teach and explain. So I'm not sure about other people that work on als rigs running 911 with a paramedic, If you haven't learned anything maybe you should think about another career

It all really boils down to maturity levels and life experiences that you normally wouldn't encounter. I am like Mateo also 22 yrs of age and the lead paramedic on a truck. I've been employed since 5 months after high school (dual enrolled my senior yr in high school with college and took my EMT-B) with my agency (4 yrs now), worked as an EMT, then last year went back and finished my AS degree. But the situations that I encountered and went through when I was young (my mom was divorced 3 times and numerous other instances with cancer, cardiac arrest, living homeless). I just chose to learn and not make those same mistakes. I just simply chose to not fit in with the crowd. I just simply chose to learn, interpret, understand, and move on with my life.

I think a majority of the maturity if it comes at a young age, like in Mateo's and myself, is self-learned from life experiences that a normal teenager wouldn't encounter. To those that think they can become a medic without learning to adapt and overcome, well you might was well get plenty of lube ready ( I couldn't help it Dust, I was tempted), because after your first malpratice claim, it's all downhill from there.

How exactly could they prevent you from going to medic school?

Sometimes there is not an understanding about the company's education policy especially when the company is going to be paying for the education and allowing the time off. The one year of employment may be a requirement to see if you are going to work out as an employee. If they send you to Paramedic school and you turn out to be a lousy employee regardless of your patch or you run off to join the FD, they have wasted time and money. However, if the company can at least get a year of work out of you and lead you to believe "it is for your own good and you'll get lots of experience", the company been the one to gain.

Some also just go to RN or RRT school to get a degree instead of waiting to get a certificate. It is hard to hold ambitious people back who want to learn more about medicine.

Many hospitals also have the one year wait before the education benfits kick in but no one says you must work as a CNA for one year before they ALLOW you to attend nursing school. You can do that whenever.

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how many people are or work with paramedics that are 18 or 19? What is the scope of practice? Job opportunity ect? Obviously these kids are fresh from high school and have attended an accelerated paramedic program. But at that age, being pushed though a course that fast are they really educated enough to be the senior clinician on an emergency ambulance?

Wouldn't happen here because you have to be at least 18 to even be able to take your entry level then its at least another 2.5 years assuming you were to go straight thru your EMT and Paramedic (which not many do)which already puts well beyond the age you are asking about.

in Maryland you can become an EMT-B at 16 with parental permission and ride under the supervision of a senior member until you are 18 and can take your written and practical aid-man tests. I started EMT-I at 19, graduated and took NR at 20 and have been in the field "blessed" for about 3 months (which was following a lengthy internship which I have chosen to extend). Even at 21, I hardly feel prepared enough to be out there alone which is why I have extended my time as a 3rd for another few months which would equal about a year in total of internship before I am alone on a medic unit. I believe this is the best so you get experience working under a seasoned preceptor until you are comfortable enough to be on your own.

No one can tell you when you will be ready or at what age you will be ready because it is far too individualized. I have met some extremely mature, responsible, and intelligent 16 year olds in classes and I have met some 40 year olds who shouldn't be given a CPR card let alone a medic card. In any situation there needs to be an SOP in place to insure that medics are not released too soon... a required internship, oral boards, and preceptor evaluations are just a few ways we overcome the insecurities of allowing paramedics at age 18.

A good friend of mine started her medic class while still in high school (but 18), and most people pre-judged her and said she was far too young and inexperienced to perform the duties, and she happened to graduate top of the class and had the best field knowledge of anyone out of her year.... so I guess age is just a number and really it is up to the individual maturity level of the provider which should be assessed through checkpoints built into the system.

Wouldn't happen here because you have to be at least 18 to even be able to take your entry level then its at least another 2.5 years assuming you were to go straight thru your EMT and Paramedic (which not many do)which already puts well beyond the age you are asking about.

iMac,

the thing to remember is that here we use the term Paramedic in its purest form.

Websters Online dictionary describes a Paramedic as

Paramedic

Definition: Paramedic

Paramedic Noun

1. A person trained to assist medical professionals and to give emergency medical treatment.

So with this in minds, I think you will find that timmy was refering to anyone working prehospital.

Timmy, it cant happen here. With the requirements for drivers licence etc, the minimum age is around 22 here

Phil

Guess I'm still use to the requirements here to become a Paramedic kept anyone from obtaining it before the age of 22 or so.

Like with me, I started the summer between my Jr. and Sr. years in high school. You had to be an EMT-A for two years before you could get into an EMT-Intermediate class. Then you had to be a certified EMT-I for one year before you could get into a Paramedic class. So if you started at 18 you would be 21 when entering the Paramedic class. Plus you had to be 21 anyway to use the drug box.

I know things have changed since then, and it varies state to state. But if someone does show that they can handle the responsibility with maturity, knowledge, and good skills outside the classroom and book learning, I don't have a problem with age.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.