Young Paramedics

Timmy

Well as some of you have read in a previous thread of mine... my feelings on young drivers and leaders. Its not so much the age that I had a problem with but the experience level, because of legalities certain things can be performed by persons 18 or older. But in fairness to thoes at a younger age I had also expressed (without directly quoting my comment cuz that would require hard work lol) that I would feel the same about a person whos 45 and just got their license a year ago driving lights and sirens as I would someone whos 18 driving lights and sirens. And likewise I would feel the same about someone whos 45 and just got their Firefighter-1 or EMT a year ago making LT as someone who were 19 or 20.

Anyways... while I do have my personal thoughts and feelings about inexperienced persons carrying out certain tasks I still feel that we all have to learn at some point. I went to a technical school... and rather than spend $15 or so on a haircut elsewhere, I spent $5 to have the hairdressers cut it at school. Everyone thought I was crazy... but you know what, they arnt going to learn if they arnt doing it. The theory behind what you will do in your life will only go so far without hands on experience.

I have worked with a 19 year old paramedic and while at the time being 22 I felt a bit inferior about it, he was one of my best ALS partners. I am not at a level where I can judge his skills as a paramedic... but proffesionally he carried himself very well. He always checked his equipment, he always treated his patients with respect and he never got pissed off about the end of the shift long distance transfers we always got. In fact we did more transfers than 9-1-1s and he was always understanding of that... he would sometimes say that he needed it more than the 9-1-1s to get more experience in doing the tasks of a medic. If anything I would be the one asking why he dosnt get more 9-1-1s.

So yes, while I feel there is only so much one can accomplish at the age of 18 or 19... the only way anyone is going to get experience is by doing it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that every area of the globe suffer the same problem " they are young they are fresh and they are eager " in my area alot of new young recruits were involved in RTCs while responding to emergency calls this prompted management to take them off emergency calls and only allowed to respond to routine calls until they had enough driving hours and showed the ability to handle and emergency vehicle.

Here in Ireland recent recruitment seems to have attracted a more mature age group late 20s early 30s, so hopfully when they do eventually get out on the road they will have enough maturity to know their limits as regards patient treatment and vehicle control.

Merry Christmas and stay safe.

I've worked with a few (state-specific level) ALS providers in the 19-20 range. It always amazes me that they can give morphine but can't buy their own beer.

An argument often heard in regards to our soldiers, marines, seamen and airmen. You can pick up a gun and fight a war for your country but you cant drink.

Curious though, are you saying that they are to young to do the job or that the drinking age is rediculous considering the responsabilites someone of that age can take on? Im just curious, not trying to bash you in any way.

I graduated from my Paramedic program a week before my 20th birthday, receiving my license at 20. The new employee process for my company was exactly the same for me as it would have been for a 30 year old new medic, with the same goal of being placed in charge of an ALS unit.

I honestly think age is just a number, but what it honestly comes down to is the maturity level of the person who is a medic. As in with being a rookie with time and experience you blossom into a seasoned salty employee and continue up the steps. Our company has 21 age limit to get hired and a min, of 1 year of 911 als field time, before they will let you go to medic school.

I honestly think age is just a number, but what it honestly comes down to is the maturity level of the person who is a medic. As in with being a rookie with time and experience you blossom into a seasoned salty employee and continue up the steps. Our company has 21 age limit to get hired and a min, of 1 year of 911 als field time, before they will let you go to medic school.

How exactly could they prevent you from going to medic school? Furthermore, how does one practice at an "ALS" level as an EMT-B?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.