Lets change the E in EMS.....

explenture

Hmmm... interesting idea, for sure. But I'm not so sure that I can get on board with this.

Seriously, if the word "EMERGENCY" is not strong enough to convey our mission, then "essential" has not a snowball's chance in Hell of doing it.

The problem is that we allow every non-emergency transport monkey to paint “Emergency Medical Service” on his horizontal taxis, and run around in an EMS style uniform as he carries invalids from the nursing home to the dialysis clinic and back. Is it any wonder that the public has no under standing of what EMS is supposed to be about? And then we have all these true EMS agencies that want to double dip in the transfer industry for the profit to further blur the lines. Until this nonsense stops, and the two industries are completely separated by law, we can never hope for the public to understand what we are all about. And simple semantics is not going to change that.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent point Dust and one that is a huge pet peeve for me as well.

Here transfer services can't put "Ambulance" on their vehicle, but they can do just about anything else as they have no legislation or regulation. They have a single sentence in the Highway Traffic Act. These vehicles have NO equipment (except maybe oxygen), can be staffed by totally untrained staff (though first responders and unemployed PCP's are the norm) yet can be decorated however they like. The lights are not removed and they often have stripes and the like all over. EMS agencies have received complaints about these vehicles and poor driving (even though they are not part of EMS) or worse, driving past an accident (they are not required nor qualified to stop). They should be required to say in big on the sides and front "Medical Transfer Service" or the like and "Not An Emergency Vehicle" somewhere on them.

It wasn't so bad before all the EMS services started going to their own markings (instead of the orange stripes all of Ontario had before), now it is very difficult to tell them apart for afar. Don't get me started on the uniforms either. Or the staff's competence.

Actually, in the big blizzard of 1996, a member of the NYC EMS, trying to get to EMS Headquarters in Maspeth (Queens County, NYC) from his home in Jersey City (in New Jersey), later advised me the Jersey State Troopers ordered him to return home, as he was not an "essential personnel", who were the only ones supposed to be on the road.

If that were to happen to me, I'd ask the LEO for his/her name, badge, and advise when I'd be docked for the pay for not reporting for duty, that I wanted a copy of their memo book page, to show I wasn't lying about being turned back.

Well gee officer... when you wreck your cruiser later on would you rather be transported by my burnt out co-hort who has been working the past 48 hours with very few breaks because your too busy pulling over "non-essential" while the usual sunday drivers are plowing into telephone poles? Or would you rather I bring you in after you were nice enough to me to excuse this and allow a fresh, rested person to get to work? Its your choice... as well as yours and everyone elses life whos out there today! Thank you for your co-operation officer :twisted:

Dust, I may not be able to prove it, but I swear I read about an Urban EMS system, that took "Emergency Medical Services" off their trucks and letterhead, and changed it to "XYZ County Paramedics". It seems their patients often confused EMS with EMC (Energy Membership Coop -- Power companies), so they changed it to what everyone knew, Paramedics.

Dust, I may not be able to prove it, but I swear I read about an Urban EMS system, that took "Emergency Medical Services" off their trucks and letterhead, and changed it to "XYZ County Paramedics". It seems their patients often confused EMS with EMC (Energy Membership Coop -- Power companies), so they changed it to what everyone knew, Paramedics.

I hear ya on that one crotch. Dont know if its a national or international chain, but in my neck of the woods we also have Eastern Mountain Sports... which also goes by EMS. Its an outdoorsman type store.

I rarley ever see EMS on the side of ambulances or in any form of avertising for Emergency Medical Services. I had a hat for my old volly agency that said Westbrook EMS on it, but thats about it. Usually its _______ Ambulance, or sometimes Mobile Intensive Care Unit if its a company that does ALS.

I agree Dust also Wouldn't the word MEDICAL ring a bell in someones mind. Emergency Medical Service is plain clear as to what it stands for.

I would hope that words like Emergency and Medical are clear cut and simple enough to understand... but thats talking about whatever percentage of mentally compitent persons that will read that.

Does anyone wear EMS clothing? You know, Eastern Mountain Supply?

And then, there is the EMS, Environmental Maintenance Service, a HVAC repair service (Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning).

Use the full name, not just the initials, people!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.