Ghettomedics

Ghettomedic: compliment or insult?  

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• Insult
    • Compliment
    • Both

Yes, I was under the impression a ghettomedic is either a person who 1) Improves really well due to a lack of equipment, or 2) A medic that works in the ghetto.

I don't really see how people are getting all fussy about this though.

I agree, I've always thought of it more like a person who works in adverse conditions with an incredibly high call volume and often must improvise on their feet for various reasons. Not an insult, although I could see how some could think of this this way.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will start off by saying that I am the owner of the site referenced in this post and named in the title. When I titled that site it had to do with a couple of things.

First off everyone I knew in outlying departments would give me grief over “working in the ghetto.” Second the city administration was truly Ghetto. They have brought out food service type gloves for the school’s to the medic units because they didn’t have latex and then threatened people who refused to use them and respond.

People have had to use 2 liter bottles as head blocks. No glucometers. The list goes on to the point it should be it’s own post. The fact that the mayor then is now sitting in Prison should help emphasize that point.

I am sure most have heard about the dead patient who wasn’t dead in Detroit. The medic stated he was dead, protocol says he had to base out and verify asystole in 2 leads, etc. When it made the news the EMT BASIC got 30 days off with pay, the medic got nothing. Read that again, Nothing.

That had more to do with the name of the site than anything. The administration itself was ghetto. They put 24 ambulances for 150k plus calls a year on the road, not the citizens. I never had a problem with anyone on the street, just the administration.

As far as what it means if someone calls you that or you call some one that it all depends I guess. Many words are like that.

Case in point is a word that is one of if not the the most hateful word in the English langue. Some use it as a greeting. When I went through the academy for Detroit one of the blocks of instruction was basically “how not to get you’re a** kicked.” Most of my class was white, most lived outside the city. The instructor who is not white and doesn’t live outside of the city looked at one guy (white) and said what do you say if you walk into a house and they say “Whats up my ni&&a” as a greeting. The guy looked stumped and finally said ‘Sir.I am white.”

What was a simple greeting among some and easily responded to by saying hi, hello, whats up, Nothing, you? etc now became an instant a** kicking incident. There are two big gangs in the city. The Dexter boys and the NFL. One is “From Linwood.” So you can figure out what the “N” stands for. Stand on Dexter and answer yes to “You like the NFL” or something similar and you will be lucky if you go home at the end of the day, Man or Woman.

In an earlier post someone mention talking like or on the same level with your patient. I think it’s a valid point that was taken a little out of context I think. Talking in slang and ebonics is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard a partner do. It’s fake, it’s condescending and is so filled with racial overtones that it will be the last day you and I ever work together again.

Talking at a level that your patient understands I agree with. My care isn’t any different in the long run other than I had to go two different routes to explain it to two different patients so they both felt comfortable and possibly understood it.

Anyways, I have typed a short book and hooped all over the place within it. The term Ghettomedic in my mind isn’t derogatory but it ultimately is the perception of the person being called it that matters.

Dust Devil-Are you back over here or no?

Dust Devil-Are you back over here or no?

Hey bro! I was hoping you'd chime in! I wasn't sure if you were 'available' now or not, so I didn't want to call you out. How much longer you staying?

I wish I were back. Unfortunately, the injuries were career ending. Waiting for the final retirement disposition right now.

Good to hear from you! Be careful. Merry Christmas!

As someone who is a member on DFD's site, and also worked in the ghetto, here's my 2 cents.

It's all about RESPECT.

Treat your patients and the families with respect, and the citizens will do the same. Yes, there are times where they will try to act tought, but as long as you stay calm and professional, you will have no problem.

When I worked in Newark, everyone who was older than me was referred to as "Sir" or "Ma'am." The older ladies loved it!

As for appearance: Look professional. Yes, I wore a vest for a little bit (after the KKK hazing incident), but after that happened, most of the public supported us. Why, you ask? Because we went out, did the job to the best of our abilities, and were professional about it. Yes, there were some snide remarks, but words will never hurt me.

I am a Ghetto medic and I am proud of it. I loved working there. The public weren't fond of the cops or the firemen, but very few people f--ked with the ambulance. Why? Because we will always come and take care of you, no questions asked.

Working in Newark, which is the busiest per capita in the nation, honed my skills, taught me things I didn't know, and with the exception of some management, was a very positive experience which will look great on my resume.

I am a Ghettomedic, and I am proud of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.