Paramedic / EMT / FF Weight-Limit

Miss Sasha said

By BMI index a lot of body builders or muscular men and women would be considered obese.

I remember reading of an amateur bodybuilder who successfully filed a lawsuit against the NYPD. NYPD claimed they couldn't hire him, as he was "obese", which wasn't the case at all, he just was that solidly built, due to the body building and weightlifting. The insurance company height/weight charts hadn't taken anyone from the "Gym Rats" into account.

Muscle takes up less space than fat

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. New employees must meet said standard prior to being hired, and current employees must meet said standard within a reasonable time frame or face termination. My service uses the Canadian Physical Activity, Fitness and Lifestyle Appraisal (CPAFLA) to evaluate new hires. It's actually a well rounded test that takes everything from lifting ability/endurance to dexterity into account.

One of the Colleges I applied for used this test as part of their screening. The problem I had with it was I scored "very good" on cardiovascular, "excellent" on back stability and sit-ups, "good" on all the rest save flexibility where I scored "fair." (I have never been flexible, even as a kid or when I was going to Karate 4 times a week) I failed the test overall though because of BMI. I agree that the test was very well rounded vs a standard lift assessment, but the all or nothing evaluation was frustrating.

Unfortunately there is no recuring evaluation which results in no incentive to maintain a reasonable standard of fitness once hired (beyond personal pride and motivation of course).

Agreed. This needs to change. There's a medic I know of who weighs ~400lbs. He's apparently a nice guy, but no longer a competent medic as he can barely physically do the job. We should have to do a lift test or some sort of assessment every few years.

I've got more than a few pounds to lose at 5'11", 240lbs, but I'm working on it. Now if you'll excuse me I think I should grab a carrot stick and go to the gym. ;)

I have been denied employment due to my weight because I am a large guy. There are certain flight programs where I exceed the minimum standard set for flight ready weight. Should I be exempted because I am a decent flight medic? No, I accept the terms they lay out and I either meet them or forget about that position. I am not entitled to that job simply because I want it.

That's different, there is logic behind that weight restriction, but generally ambulances are not as concerned with balancing weight as helicopters are. The logic behind weight restriction in ground EMS is "They wont be able to do their job!" which is BS. I've seen skinny as a rail people who are unable to perform the essential functions of their job, i.e carrying a patient downstairs or across rough terrain. And I've also seen some "Big boys" and "big girls" who were more able to lift and carry and get on the ground and intubate than their skinnier counterparts.

Instead of enacting a weight limit on ground EMS, a comprehensive and universal skills test would be better

Weight limit for ambulance would be if ambulance tilts when you get in to your side your to fat.

But in all honesty the right to work should be limited to those that can do the job. If you are fat, skinny, short, tall and can not do the job you should be fired. If you can't do the job physically or because you refuse to get proper education you should be fired. If you can't get down to patients level, help lift the cot, crawl into a car to help your patient, you should be fired.

As long as you can do your job and are a benifit to your patient then there shouldnt be a problem. But if that interfers with patient care or your own safety or the safety of others there needs to be adjustments made. Either personally or by the employer.

We have started a healthy eating life style change where I work and once you get used to eating cardboard its not so bad lol. The point is as long as you can do the job do it but if you can not and it harms the patient or co workers then you need to fix it.

I failed the test overall though because of BMI. I agree that the test was very well rounded vs a standard lift assessment, but the all or nothing evaluation was frustrating.

BMI in and of itself is a poor evaluation of job fitness. BMI does absolutely nothing to take structure or muscle mass into account. If you're of average height and build it works well. The all or nothing approach would have been by decision of the school. The CPAFLA is simply an evaluation while the school dictates the required score. It is entirely possible to go on a criteria by criteria basis and leave out BMI altogether.

The whole thing is kind of funny in some ways. I had to go through a 24hr blood pressure monitoring session to pass due to "White-coat syndrome". Every time the doc takes my BP it's elevated while my normal resting BP is on the low side of normal.

BMI in and of itself is a poor evaluation of job fitness. BMI does absolutely nothing to take structure or muscle mass into account. If you're of average height and build it works well. The all or nothing approach would have been by decision of the school. The CPAFLA is simply an evaluation while the school dictates the required score. It is entirely possible to go on a criteria by criteria basis and leave out BMI altogether.

The whole thing is kind of funny in some ways. I had to go through a 24hr blood pressure monitoring session to pass due to "White-coat syndrome". Every time the doc takes my BP it's elevated while my normal resting BP is on the low side of normal.

Good to know Rock Shoes. I wasn't aware that the pass criteria for the test was independent of the test format. Either way it's a moot point as I got into my first choice school and should be graduating at the end of this academic year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.