magnets and EMS

I think having a magnet on the ambulance is probably of little benefit. I apply these very infrequently, perhaps 3 times in the last 4 years.

Often the community ERs won't even have them- early in my career two of my coworkers made a transfer from a (slightly) outlying ER into the trauma center with a patient whose pacemaker was misfiring as often as every two minutes. The magnet was awaiting their arrival- a few seconds later, no more shocks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with 'zilla in that these magnets probably are used very infrequently in EMS. However, there has been a small increase in the incidence of lead fracture in these devices with a recent recall and discontinuation of the Medtronic Sprint Fidelis lead (the most common ICD lead used).

Pretty sure a patient would really appreciate someone carrying a magnet vs. them having to 'hurry up and get to the hospital' while they're being zapped! :shock:

Everyone does programming and setting somewhat different. The device I have is set to pace asynchronously at 85bpm while magnet is in place and then goes back to active V monitor mode once the magnet is removed. I also happen to have one of these recalled leads, which most patients have overinterpreted and been pretty pissed about when in fact the incidence is only about 2% higher of lead fracture and they were pulled preventatively to prevent an upward trend in these stats.

This also works to inhibit a runaway pacemaker or to determine if a tachy may be pacemaker mediated, though this is probably not really of much use pre-hospital.

A donut magnet is not required as any magnet of medium strength (i.e. bigger than a fridge magnet) will usually trigger the pacing and inhibit the V sensing. Most devices also emit a continuous beep while the magnet is in place.

Also, many centers will not readily have a pacer rep in close proximity so while larger centers can call the company and have someone come right away, the poor sucker living in the boonies is SOL.

Just my 0.02....and really, how much room does a magnet take up?

in my career I have had 5 patients who would have benefitted from a magnet. This particular night this guy would have. They take up 3inches by 3 inches in space so I can't imagine that space is an issue.

Well, no. Space may not be an issue. But size may be. That's small enough to get lost pretty easily. And, as a magnet, it stands to be rather inconvenient if it sticks to something.

I can think of two occasions where it would've been nice to have. But a little sedation helped for the ride to the ER.

I have seen patient's who have their own magnet. It may be worth it to ask the patient if s/he has one.

-be safe

Sounds like the sort of thing that while useful, would be so infrequent that when you might need it, you've forgotten it even exists or where it is. Like one crew I saw when they were asked to set up the "Pedimate" for another crew on scene. There was a long "ahhhh. Right."

If you have a stereo speaker in the truck that has a magnet in it ... but you never heard that from me, no, never, ever .

8)

Cheers

If you have a stereo speaker in the truck that has a magnet in it ... but you never heard that from me, no, never, ever .

8)

Cheers

Squint,

If I was getting zapped repeatedly I would not give a crap if you told me I had to ride roof rack because there was a magnet up there. :lol: Then again that's just me.....some people are SO picky.

I do agree with 'zilla in that these magnets probably are used very infrequently in EMS. However, there has been a small increase in the incidence of lead fracture in these devices with a recent recall and discontinuation of the Medtronic Sprint Fidelis lead (the most common ICD lead used).

Pretty sure a patient would really appreciate someone carrying a magnet vs. them having to 'hurry up and get to the hospital' while they're being zapped! :shock:

Everyone does programming and setting somewhat different. The device I have is set to pace asynchronously at 85bpm while magnet is in place and then goes back to active V monitor mode once the magnet is removed. I also happen to have one of these recalled leads, which most patients have overinterpreted and been pretty pissed about when in fact the incidence is only about 2% higher of lead fracture and they were pulled preventatively to prevent an upward trend in these stats.

This also works to inhibit a runaway pacemaker or to determine if a tachy may be pacemaker mediated, though this is probably not really of much use pre-hospital.

A donut magnet is not required as any magnet of medium strength (i.e. bigger than a fridge magnet) will usually trigger the pacing and inhibit the V sensing. Most devices also emit a continuous beep while the magnet is in place.

Also, many centers will not readily have a pacer rep in close proximity so while larger centers can call the company and have someone come right away, the poor sucker living in the boonies is SOL.

Just my 0.02....and really, how much room does a magnet take up?

stay away from mp3 players, I won't give you any problems.... :lol::lol:

In the story I mentioned in this thread earlier, we did not have a magnet initially, but the guy had a junkyard for a yard so we went and found a five pound speaker and used that. It was the best I could think of never dealing with one before and not having a magnet on hand.

8)

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.