Off to the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Arctickat

So, I got an e-mail today that I have been placed on the short list as a medical volunteer at the 2010 Winter Olympics and that I will be functioning under the title of a First Aid Provider, Athlete Care. Part of the experience offers an opportunity for training days at the Bobsleigh/Skeleton FIBT World Cup – Feb 1-7.

I'm pretty excited to be involved since this is likely the only opportunity I will have to be a volunteer at the Olympics in my lifetime.

Didn't check the FAQ huh?

I live in another country. Can I apply to volunteer for the 2010 Winter Games?

Absolutely - however, applicants from outside of Vancouver and Whistler must secure their own accommodation during the Games. Volunteers will also be required to arrange and pay for transportation to and from Vancouver.

Kat I seen that but I wasn't sure how the EMS system up there is and how much involvement they were going to play. I did not know if there was any restrictions on providing aid in Canada without being licensed there.

Didn't check the FAQ huh?

I live in another country. Can I apply to volunteer for the 2010 Winter Games?

Absolutely - however, applicants from outside of Vancouver and Whistler must secure their own accommodation during the Games. Volunteers will also be required to arrange and pay for transportation to and from Vancouver.

Kat I seen that but I wasn't sure how the EMS system up there is and how much involvement they were going to play. I did not know if there was any restrictions on providing aid in Canada without being licensed there.

I don't think requirments to work with the first aid team will be overly stringent since BC Ambulance Service is still the recognized EMS provider for the games. BCAS has commited to providing 55 additional ambulances, a dedicated air ambulance, and ALS at each of the venues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.