Where are the Canadian texbooks?

HellsBells

In another thread about declining ACLS standards tniuqs made a point about Canadian Heart and Stroke just adopting the US guidelines, and this got me thinking about a subject that has annoyed me since I was in EMT school.

It seems like the vast majority of texts we get for school are from the US, all the references to laws, and regulations are specific to the US. So, I was curious if anyone uses a text that is written and published in Canada for Canadian providers. If not, why the hell isn't there one?

Bledsoe's "Essentials of Paramedic Care" is the Canadian Edition. The medico-legal side is Canadian references and throughout titles and scope attempts to stay consistent with NOCP. A good chunk of the pictures also have Canadian providers in them and a couple of section use Cambrian College students are the demonstrators (as per their T-shirts). "Case Studies for Paramedics" by Kevin Branch is also all Canadian scenarios.

Yeah, I have the same supplement for my text; but is that all we get? A thin little booklet packaged in with the canadian version of the textbook?

Granted, its not that huge of a deal for me, as most of the content applies. However, its just kind of annoying to read about blood glucose tests in dl/ mg and not as mmol/L, or to read that I must call medical direction to give any drug for any reason, etc.

Bledsoe's "Essentials of Paramedic Care" is the Canadian Edition. The medico-legal side is Canadian references and throughout titles and scope attempts to stay consistent with NOCP. A good chunk of the pictures also have Canadian providers in them and a couple of section use Cambrian College students are the demonstrators (as per their T-shirts). "Case Studies for Paramedics" by Kevin Branch is also all Canadian scenarios.

Yea Bledsoe rocks !

I am a Canadian who has lived and worked in the US for almost 10 years. While Canada has many wonderful qualities (Yeah for universal health care) the US is the most dynamic, inventive, diverse, creative society on the earth. I know most people from other countries dont want to hear this. They would rather focus on the overbearing strength of the giant.

Americans work harder than any other nationality. They put up with working hours and conditions that would have most Canadians revolting in the streets. Why aren't there Canadian texts? Why are Canadians not writing them?

Kaisu, I wasn't trying to start a bash USA thread, I have nothing but love for our neighbours down south, but I live in Canada, there are differences in our medical system and I think that our textbooks should reflect that.

Thanks DocHarris I will try to see if I can get a copy of that text.

Right on Doc. I guess I am a little oversensitive about the issue. I have friends in Canada and 3 of my 4 kids live there. I also have family in Finland. I get a lot of hate my way. Thanks for clarifying.

Would you guys say that the Theriault text would be a good book to get to study medic/legal aspects for the Ontario MOHLTC exam?

I am looking for a text to study from and coming up empty at the moment hoping someone here could point me in right direction.

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.