Save 1-2 million patients in 2009 ??

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to effectively play devil's advocate without pissing people off, you need to IDENTIFY that you are playing devil's advocate FROM THE OUTSET.

No one is impugning your character. You can be a person of fine outstanding character and still post like a troll! You make broad generalizations and use the novice debate tactic of setting up straw men or positions where an individual's only three response choices are agree with you, disagree with you and be "morally inferior" by the grounds you have set up, or ignore you completely. Or call bullshit on the tactics you're using, which many people have to your obvious displeasure.

Unfortunately, your little tendency to play devil's advocate, as you claim, without stating that you are doing so, (as well as your annoying "holier than thou" stances and tendency to selectively respond only to snippets of people's counterarguments) has convinced many people that you are a troll. You also show that you have been out of the field for a while... because a lot of what you speak about or demonstrate seems to indicate that you are not aware of the current system and you also seem to have no desire to rectify that knowledge lag...

Sorry. I'm calling it like I see it. You put up stats without references. You try to say that anyone who doesn't agree with you is morally inferior and a poor provider, while showing those of us currently actively working in prehospital EMS that you're way out of touch with how it actually works now. Just because you worked in EMS for 20 years doesn't mean you know everything about it, or that your experience should be any sort of benchmark for how EMS should be... see the thread on Age vs EMS where I outline my theory on life experience vs informed perspective...

I'm sure you're a wonderful person, great pillar in your community, nice guy to have a drink at the bar with... but your interactions here on the forum aren't showing it. If everyone is saying something about you, perhaps you should look in the mirror? After all, that's the attitude you espoused in the paragod thread...

Think about it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This was a blatent lie, and an attack on my character:

I am thinking a Fire/medic that had Fire taken away.

I know of at least 1 person who has PM'd him multiple times to ask where/when/how long etc... and he does not respond. Because of that and many recent posts I do not put much value in his opinion/advice.

You gonna whine about mobey's post, or actually respond to mine?

Just curious.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Answering Wendy's question: That is good advice, but if you know when I am playing devils advocate, it isnt as fun. Although this hurts my credibility in the short run, I am willing to temporarily conceed that to poke and prod and see what you guys are really passionate and knowlegeable about. Life is like a sled dog team, if you arent the lead dog, the scenery never changes. Which means you often have to step out of your comfort zone of yourself and the team, to get a fresh look at the scenery. You have to take a leadership role, and say why not go left, when everyone is is sure we should turn right ? Sometimes you have to question yourself and what is known to be "right" to validate it, and sometimes you find that maybe you invalidate some things along the way. There was a time in this world when the smartest people "Knew" the earth was flat. There was a time when the brightest doctors knew menstral cycles were a result of mental illness (they might have been right -- just kidding). Just because you know something to be "right" today, doesnt make it right tomorrow or a year from now. Did you vote in the last election wendy ? There was a time when the smartest people didnt think you should be allowed to do that, and it wasnt that long ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.