New EMT

traumajunkie89

I am struggling to get calls.I am 7 minutes from my nearest firehouse and I can never get to the station fast enough.The calls I have had are all trauma somehow.I seem to always get car accidents right next to where I live.The one thing I struggle most with is getting people to take me seriously.When I tell them what I think,they ignore me.Just because im 19 doesnt mean im incompetent.

I know the feeling quite well. I ran my first call the day before my 18th birthday. The state gave me the one day so our coordinator could have a full schedule. I took my EMT test about five weeks before. Within nine months I became a squad leader. That didn't go over too well with some. Two months later I got my first paying job. That's what got me on the fast track to Paramedic.

So take your time. Opportunity will knock. As for your age, and some people not liking it, don't worry. If you show enough initiative and good skills they'll come around. Just don't give them any reason or "ammunition" to put you down. Relax, I know if can get frustrating. And I know the "trauma junkie" feeling quite well also. More power to ya.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.