Should we save ourselves???

FozMedic

Mate, I explained it as best I could. I don't think she was even listening to what I was sayin in the end.

I understand that she is free to have her own opinion, and that is just fine, im just trying to guage the general outlook on the issue.

I'm with ya there, Bro. This is why I generally try to avoid war talk with anyone who hasn't been there. True understanding just doesn't happen very often with others.

I agree. The citizens of your country are just as entitled to care from you in Afghanistan as they are back wherever it is you are from. Someone's gotta do it. Might as well be you.

I'm with ya there, Bro. This is why I generally try to avoid war talk with anyone who hasn't been there. True understanding just doesn't happen very often with others.

I agree. The citizens of your country are just as entitled to care from you in Afghanistan as they are back wherever it is you are from. Someone's gotta do it. Might as well be you.

Agree, and look, I am a capitalist pig at heart. I am making a good wage, working a respectful job, and I am letting Uncle Sugar take his share of tax money. Cannot say I see a problem.

Take care,

chbare.

I'm going to try and not sound like an idiot, but....

I don't think that EMS in the US is suffering a shortage on a whole. In certain areas, yes, it's a major problem. But it's not like the whole country is up in arms about it.

But as for you guys over there, yes your services could be used back home. But you are where you are needed more for right now. You're not only representing our country, but representing the US EMS. (I know, sounds corny) Keep up the good work.

I dont know why you just didnt slap the b***h. There is no law or requirement that says you should serve your country first in career or charity. But I feel you are serving US EMS by being a representative or diplomat on our behalf. Imagine telling a Ford executive that he couldnt take a job with Toyota. How many US medics are you working with ? Lets assume you all packed up and came home tomorrow, how would that solve every problem that US EMS is suffering from. I doubt it would even help one city.

Live your life on your terms, do what you feel is best.

Just to clarify, he is an Aussie, so by that right he is NOT representing the US or US EMS. :)

As for how many Americans does he work with..the answer is two...Me and Dwayne.

OOOPS! So he's at least serving his country anyway, just like the guys from the US.

• 1 year later...

But if he serves a population that has no access to these services, when compared to other countries, is he then not still 'serving his country?"

I think he is. There are many of us that went overseas for a paycheck, only to find that the paycheck was not as big as expected, as well as to find that there was a much bigger payday.

I've often been asked, "Doesn't it bother you to think that you may have treated the Taliban?" I worried about this for a month or so, before coming to realize that I've treated the Taliban dozens, if not hundreds of times.

Many, like me, brought medicine to Afg, and were not missed at home. Others, Like Fozz, brought joy, and peace, and kindness there. They may have been slightly missed at home but provided amazing relief to those that had come to believe that they were beneath it. Which is better?

I'lll follow Fozz's heart any day.

Dwayne

I'll follow Fozz's heart any day.

Dwayne

Whoah... did Dwayne finally find a Basic that is worth working with?!? So the B on my sleeve doesn't make me useless? (Sorry Dwayne... couldn't resist.) :whistle:

Foz, what I think was stuck in the head of your Lady conversationalist was the old adage of "Think Global, act Local." Many people truly believe that if everyone focuses on fixing their own back yard, that nobody would ever need to help anyone else. While ideologically true, it is not a practical solution to such many and varied issues. Issues that you, me, nor anyone else will be able to effectively explain to the uninitiated. While I applaud your attempt to try and peacefully educate the Lady, it was doomed to end in frustration for the both of you. People with only a broad frame of reference are always confused by those with experience and intimate knowledge of the inner workings of... whatever.

Some people ask for advice, but don't plan on following it, even before the advice is stated. I can only guess that was the case with that woman.

I'll posit that she probably doesn't support Doctors without Borders, and would have been somewhat insulting to all EMS personnel who went to Haiti, following the earthquake, as having abandoned their posts in whatever area they came from.

Tell that to the 2 kids that USAR NYC Task Force One pulled out of their collapsed home.

I think a argument can be made that by helping less fortunate countries we can help our selves by decreasing their need for outside help. I realize that has been tried and failed in recent history to the point of insanity, but I think the theory is strong. If we can get (in this theoretical case) there EMS system up and functional then their will be less demand for our aid in the future. The next two choices are a little less popular, one take over the problematic country make it a providence and take all it's wealth for our own and restructure it in our image, two go back to the closed door policies of a earlier generation of our country.