lost by a popularity contest

darkangelx66

Hey do me a favor and break your posts into paragraphs... much easier to read.

Just a quick question for you, What makes you sure that any ambulance coprs, either paid or volunteer, might not have anything to hide?

I don't hide anything...... only those who do wrong, know it is wrong, and continue to do it have things to hide! When we do something "wrong" we deal with it so there are no secrets. I believe that is what professionals do.

As for the whole popular thing in the adult world, I believe it carries over from the childhood of people who don't want to grow up. It really shouldn't come into play in an adult world.

Agreed

As for shutting down all volunteer ambulance corps. that would be improbable. There maybe a day it happens. But if you think about some of the politics involved, would you like to be the elected offical who dissolves a volunteer orginization and raises taxes for the city?

Our town raised taxes to put in one of the only heated 1/4mile race tracks in Canada and he was not voted out. So to put in a full time ambulance so things like what was refered to in your last post does not happen anymore..... Ya, I would do that! Or I could just not decorate the city in christmas lights and have the city hall staff cleanup after themselves and fire the cleaning staff to offset the cost.

As for dosing reality, I agree with you on that. I did tell him to just do what you are trained to do and let it go. That is reality. Reality sucks sometimes.

Agreed

But as for labeling someone as Emo, Goth, Jock, or Nerd, that is labeling and puts you into a category.

Yup, I totally agree! I definatly am VERY judgemental by appearance! If someone applies here and I lookup thier myspace, or facebook (which I usually do) and I see a guy wearing makeup and black cloths who calls himself the DarkAngel.... He will not get the job! I would be ashamed to have that kind of person employed here.

I do not dismiss that this may be a character flaw of my own.... but I was offering advice when I brought it up, I am not the only judgemental person who has influence on hiring practices. You want to work in a profession, be a professional.

And maybe that means you actually have something to hide.

I expose my flaws daily on this site.... believe me I got nuthin.

Or are you saying that you are PERFECT??

:roll:

.....and it seems that you are assuming I am making petty threats.

I Know you did.... look back

you can be paid or volunteer but what matters the most is if you are a PROFESSIONAL.

You should search this site on this subject. Professional EMS is not vollunteer. Vollunteer EMS is vollunteer

2 or 3 people out of 10 remember the good that is done but 7 to 9 remember the bad. So as long as you are professional and do everything you can to do good then people will remember you when your career is over.

I don't do this job to be some kind of a "legend". That is volly talk to me. This is a career that I do because I love it and it feeds my family.

So like I said leave a constructive comment like Mobey or Kiss My Ass!!

BE ADVISED: You are talking to a professional group! If you cannot carry on a conversation without these childish outbursts, you will not get a response from me or probably anyone else again.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Mobey, I see that you atleast read my reply. Thank you for that. Just a quick question for you, What makes you sure that any ambulance coprs, either paid or volunteer, might not have anything to hide? As for the whole popular thing in the adult world, I believe it carries over from the childhood of people who don't want to grow up. It really shouldn't come into play in an adult world. As for shutting down all volunteer ambulance corps. that would be improbable. There maybe a day it happens. But if you think about some of the politics involved, would you like to be the elected offical who dissolves a volunteer orginization and raises taxes for the city? As for dosing reality, I agree with you on that. I did tell him to just do what you are trained to do and let it go. That is reality. Reality sucks sometimes. But as for labeling someone as Emo, Goth, Jock, or Nerd, that is labeling and puts you into a category. And maybe that means you actually have something to hide. Or are you saying that you are PERFECT?? Guaranteed that there is someone out there by you that would disagree with it. I do understand that it is an open forum and everyone can say anything they want. i did and it seems that you are assuming I am making petty threats. It is not a threat when I, just like you, spoke my mind. And if that last comment on my reply makes me seem like I am labeling myself than I guess I did. I labeled myself as a person who speaks my mind. You say I need to check my attitude and have an open mind. I have an open mind or I would have just told you to F*@K OFF. But you are entitled to your opinion. I would never try to say anything different. But you also have to realize I will defend my friend as well. But I do have an open mind. I asked for a constructive comment and you gave one. You are entitled too that. But remember one thing, you can be paid or volunteer but what matters the most is if you are a PROFESSIONAL. 2 or 3 people out of 10 remember the good that is done but 7 to 9 remember the bad. So as long as you are professional and do everything you can to do good then people will remember you when your career is over. So like I said leave a constructive comment like Mobey or Kiss My Ass!!

sounds like someone's feelings were hurt and the attitude came out.

Popularity should never play a role in hiring or appointing or voting for people for just such a important role as 2nd lt. but this is the world we live in and if the other person gets more votes than you then lick your wounds and get on with life.

AS for your friend, as a 1st lt. you should know that you need to manage people and not get too chummy with them or you will not be an effective leader.

I have been a supervisor before and to get too friendly with your subordinates is a recipe for disaster when it comes to discipline. I'm not saying you can't have friends in your service but those friends need to be aware that at work, they are simply subordinates and not friends. To overflow a friendship into the service is not a good idea.

When someone comes to this forum with your attitude you have to prepare to get many negative responses. I'd wonder what the friend of the person you are slamming would have to say about you and your friend? It might be eye opening.

As for dirty laundry, yes that is everywhere and NO you don't want it exposed or it might be taken negatively by the public and hence be a black mark for your service yet your friend came in here and began the airing of the dirty laundry and now you are here ragging and disparaging your service's most imporatant members. Before casting stones make sure your house is in order.

Your first two posts defend your friend to a fault yet airs negative comments all the while.

Your service sounds like it needs a good housekeeping and maybe with your zeal and your friends desire your service might be the better for it.

but don't come here yelling at us, most of the more vocal members might not be as nice as I or Mobey are. Threats of kissing your ass are not warranted - as a matter of fact they are counterproductive to a adult conversation. I'd suggest toning down your rhetoric if you want anyone to discuss this with you as adults, if you still continue to spout kissing your ass, just go back to your playground and go away.

If I get a response from you like "Kiss my ass" I will not respond just as Mobey said he won't . Having that type of statement said in a professional group just proves that you "may be" petty, angry and immature. This is a professional forum and statements of that sort get you blacklisted quickly around here, or at the very least get's you a reputation that nothing you say has any merit even though you may be the Bombtastically Exceptional Best fire fighter volunteer emt extraordinare out there. Keep the name calling and insults and petty threats at the playground and please be professional here.

I tried to stay out of this whole mess, but when a newbie comes in and starts telling the 'old guard' to start kissing their ass.....I have no choice!

First off, just because you've got 'seniority' doesn't mean you're 'qualified' to fill that position. Second, whether or not you're 'in with the popular crowd' doesn't guarantee you a leadership position, nor does it disqualify you if you're not.

If your 'officers' are elected by 'popular vote', then it seems that your whole service needs to have their 'rank structure' disbanded! Some vollie ambulance service isn't the military, so the 'rank structure' means NOTHING! It's nothing more than more 'shiny things' to pin to your uniform shirt, and another 'title' that is insignificant.

You rant and rave about how 'immature' this 'new officer' is, and yet with all your whining and crying about it, shows that you've still got alot of 'growing up' to do as well. I think that it's better to do your job to the best of your ability, and not worry so much about 'making rank' or getting a 'new title' to inflate your already self inflated ego.

With all the 'importance' you're placing on 'rank' makes it sound like a security guard company, as opposed to an EMS service.

Coming into a forum, and trashing your company isn't a very 'professional' thing to do, regardless of how many posts you have under your belt. You whine about being 'professional'...then act like it, and quit the whining and telling people to kiss your ass that don't agree with you!

As far as being the one to 'shut down the volunteer ambulance corps', I would do it in a heartbeat! ESPECIALLY if they can't play nicely together! By shutting down the volunteer corps, the municipality would be forced to either cough up the dough to establish a paid service, or contract with a paid service.

Telling someone to either 'leave constructive comments or kiss my ass' doesn't label you as a professional, or someone who 'speaks his mind', it labels you as someone who can't handle dealing in reality, and resorts to childish outbursts.

As far as being taken as a 'professional', the only thing you've done so far is destroyed any credibility that you MIGHT have had when you joined this forum!

Knowing that GVAC is a tiny little company in NJ its a safe bet that there isnt all that much 'action' going on. Just because you've been there for a year and a half, doesn't make you 'qualified' to be in a supervisory position. Judging from the attitude I've seen demonstrated here, I would be loathe to 'elect' you into a supervisory position as well.

The fact that you're only 19, tells me that you've still got some 'maturing' to do before you even THINK about running for a supervisory position. Rather than looking forward to being able to order people around and flaunt your exagerated self worth to the general public, maybe you should consider getting more education, experience and quite possibly advancing your 'career' with a more 'structured' service'!

My exact words for Paul were…

At 19 you would be better off working out how you can become a medical professional than worrying about losing out on a supervisory role in a volly service. It's all about priorities and at 19 education should be at the top of the list.

I stand by this 100%. I, like Mobey, don’t believe volunteer ambulance services should exist. The public deserves better and that’s exactly what I intend to provide. What if I went out and did your regular job for free? Wouldn’t you be angry when your employer decided he no longer needed to pay you a reasonable wage because Ed down the street will do it for free? I’m willing to bet you would be flying mad and rightly so.

I also said…

If you take a good hard look at what you've typed out here and I think you'll have your answer as to why you were passed over for this promotion. You give the impression that you believe being an over achieving youth gives you the right to automatically assume a position of leadership in the adult world. This is not an assumption you can make. It's a good lesson and you should be thankful you were able too learn it at 19.

Again I stand by what I’ve said. If you want to lead then get educated to the highest level you can and provide care consistently at that level. It really is that simple. Education as a boy scout DOES NOT COUNT in this arena.

Pissing and moaning isn’t going to get you anywhere around here. Please stick around GVAC-Redneck. There are a lot of good people here from whom you can learn. Read some of the past debates on volly vs. paid. Maybe then you will start to understand our position. Storming off in a huff will be your loss not any of ours.

Ed

you know what, all of you want to bad mouth the volunteers and how unprofessional you think we are well let me tell you this. The paid emts in my town are some of the most ignorant assholes that i have ever met. when me and GVAC-redneck get 911 calls in our city, our patients tell us how rude and unprofessional they are. and another thing that happened is that the paid emt told there patient that the volunteers will pay for his/her bill for shits and giggles. so that makes me wonder about you paid emt's. i have been told countless times how much the volunteers are appreciated and how people would rather have the volunteers. and after all of the negative posts of the volunteers i am under the assuption that all of you paid emt's just do it for money and not to help people. you all might hate me for "whining" on this site but i know why i would rather volunteer then get paid. i rather not be hated by all my patients

you know what, all of you want to bad mouth the volunteers and how unprofessional you think we are well let me tell you this. The paid emts in my town are some of the most ignorant assholes that i have ever met. when me and GVAC-redneck get 911 calls in our city, our patients tell us how rude and unprofessional they are. and another thing that happened is that the paid emt told there patient that the volunteers will pay for his/her bill for shits and giggles. so that makes me wonder about you paid emt's. i have been told countless times how much the volunteers are appreciated and how people would rather have the volunteers. and after all of the negative posts of the volunteers i am under the assuption that all of you paid emt's just do it for money and not to help people. you all might hate me for "whining" on this site but i know why i would rather volunteer then get paid. i rather not be hated by all my patients

I assure you I am at least as dedicated and probably more dedicated to my patients than you as a volly will ever be. Do not try that crap. For ever we heard this I can present the I heard that about vollys. I have chosen to focus my entire attention on my EMS profession so my patients only receive the best. You as a volly can not say that. Yes there are some scum paid people but I again can tell you I have seen some real scum volunteers.

Let me see, I've dedicated my entire adult life and even some of my childhood to becoming a more proficient EMS provider. What does a volunteer do when he's not responding to a call? Do you spend your spare time attempting to research new treatments and innovations so you can better treat your patients, or do you go to work at the job you actually get paid to do? Maybe you're in school, I wouldn't know, you haven't shared that information. Regardless, the real issue is that volunteer EMS may be able to claim they are dedicated to their profession because they go to "meetings" once a month and do their 3 or 4 calls a week for free, but they have other priorities in the real world. How often have the volunteers in your organisation been unavailable to respond because they were too busy? I know of many that have had that problem.

I do get paid well for my job, because that is my career, just like any other, one has to make a living. If one excels at his chosen career, one will be rewarded for his efforts. If one moans and complains about his workplace, he is unlikely to excel. A wise man once told me, "If you find a career you enjoy, you never have to work a day in your life." I haven't had to work for decades. Your patients may like you better than those rude fulltime EMTs, possibly it's because of the bill they get in the mail next week, possibly it's because those EMTs are 19 hours into a 24 hour shift and are dead tired but are so dedicated to their patients they don't want to hand them off to a volunteer who is more worried about getting his paycheck from his real employer rather than going to save a life. Perhaps they are ensuring these people are getting a well regulated standard of care than the hit or miss that occurs with a volunteer.

The more I read these posts from Garfield Volunteers, the more I am reminded of a medic I fired a couple of months ago. His ego was far too arrogant and no one he worked with or for was good enough by comparison. He too made sure that others were aware of his dissatisfaction. Interestingly, this individual was fired from his job prior to working for me and fired from his subsequent job, for the same reasons. He has been placed on a black list and will never work in this province again. In his mind he was all about superior patient care and being the perfect medic, but his lack of professionalism undermined all of that and resulted in a level of incompetence in his treatments that he would not admit.

Now he is a volunteer.

CBEMT warned you what was going to happen here in the very first response to Paul's post and now you're mad at everyone for sharing their opinions. It's kinda like the 4 year old who's mommy warns him that the stove is hot, but he puts his hand on it anyways and gets burned. Then gets mad at his mom for not stopping him.

Oh yeah man 10.00 an hour woohoo! I'm raking in the fucking dough now! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've got nothing bad to say about volunteers, as long as they act professionally. That's how I started. But even if your full time paid EMT's or Medics have that kind of attitude or say things like that, then they need straightening out, fast. But that's your service's problem to fix. You can help by being more professional acting.