Preventing Super Medic -itis ... ?

No problem, I was a paramedic for over 20 years, i was a director at two 911 services and 2 private services. I got out in late 2006 when i took a job in canada in medical sales. During that time my employers (full and part-time) included urban & rural 911, hospital, county, and private EMS. I worked in the ER at a pediatric trauma center, and a rural ER. I did holter monitoring for about a year as well.

The ideas I have presented are my facts, beliefs, and definitions of paragods, which obviously differ from your own. I think we just have two totally different EMS experiences, and as I stated before your experience is your truth and fact, my experience is my truth and fact. Doesnt make either right or wrong.

I dont know Mike, and maybe I was wrong for suggesting he might be a paragod, but I based it on what he typed (I cant read his mind -- only his words):

Mike said:

There will always be people that, no matter what you do or say, will always regard you as a "para-god". Nothing can or will change this. You could be the nicest person in the world and they will still try to be down on you in this manner.

I have never been called a paragod, nor have the majority of the medics I worked with over the years (unless it was in the positive light as I described). The only people who got called this in a negative tone, were the ones who deserved it.

So in my world, I cant understand having lots of people that I work with call me a paragod in the negative sense, unless I was acting like a paragod. And as I stated, more times than not, the paragod doesnt recognize that they are one, instead they see their coworkers as the problem (either because of jealousy or incompetence). But I guess where you work, there are bitter EMTs who do label non-paragods as paragods.

If Mike is not a paragod, then I do apologize.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crotchety - I personally like your style. As far as being called a paragod... I was on ride time when I went to pick up a kid at a gym. Once the patient was on the gurney, I took my time positioning myself at the end to make sure I preserved good lift mechanics. An EMT (quite rudely) pushed me aside and picked up the patient. I turned to thank him (after all - he did help). He bluntly inquired - "and who are you?". I offered my hand and said "Hi - I'm Kaisu. I'm a medic student". He ignored my hand and said - "Oh great - another paragod". I thought he was kidding. I smiled and said "Paragoddess if you don't mind". He snarled and said "Step on my toes lady and you will find out just how human you are" and walked away. :shock: That was my introduction to insecure a**h***s who call you a paragod even tho they dont know a thing about you. It happens.

Crotchety - I personally like your style. As far as being called a paragod... I was on ride time when I went to pick up a kid at a gym. Once the patient was on the gurney, I took my time positioning myself at the end to make sure I preserved good lift mechanics. An EMT (quite rudely) pushed me aside and picked up the patient. I turned to thank him (after all - he did help). He bluntly inquired - "and who are you?". I offered my hand and said "Hi - I'm Kaisu. I'm a medic student". He ignored my hand and said - "Oh great - another paragod". I thought he was kidding. I smiled and said "Paragoddess if you don't mind". He snarled and said "Step on my toes lady and you will find out just how human you are" and walked away. :shock: That was my introduction to insecure a**h***s who call you a paragod even tho they dont know a thing about you. It happens.

The last time someone (usually FD) did that to my wife...that person was LUCKY to walk away with their moustache intact!

Paragod seems to come up most in reference to EMT's dealing with Paramedics and this isn't something I've seen very much of up here. It makes me wonder, could part of this be a product of an training/education program that leaves basics and paramedics so far apart in knowledge and skill base that they can't speak the same language and thus the EMT is left feeling inferior because they don't necessairly feel like an equal member of the team? The EMT wants to believe that they're able to help their patient, but feel inadequate and over their head with their Paramedic partner, especially when said medic takes their education seriously and refuses to do things by rote. (Which if Basic is taught the way the textbook reads, is how the EMT is trained to operate)

I mean it's one thing to keep your ego in check and always remember that the learning never stops, but the stuff Kaisu describes speaks 100% to the problem being the other person and their issues, not the medic.

I guess that is possible doc, and would explain some miscommunication between the two, but like I said I never witnessed that perspective. The clash I usually saw was Paramedic versus lazy EMTI that you had to drag into patient care situations (they belived their job was solely behind the steering wheel). But for most of my career I was an FTO or manager, so I always tried to teach-up my EMTs to get them ready for Paramedic school if they chose that path, or just to make them better EMTs. I always stressed that we were a team, and due to that, there was rarely any conflict on the scene. I guess I was lucky.

That's great and the way it should be done, failing a proper education. But I think we've well established on various threads on this forum that this proper attitude and commitment is the small minority of EMT-B training in EMS in the US.

Looks like, after three pages, you guys are finally coming to realise the same thing we always conclude from this discussion.

Paragods only exist in systems with EMTs. Therefore, they are a figment of the EMTs imagination. Get rid of EMTs and you will have no more paragods. Problem solved.

Hey Dust, I've got question for you. I know you've had exposure to our system up here and I was wondering whether you'd also argue for getting rid of BLS here in Ontario? (Other provinces too but I'm not familiar with their education) Two years for BLS with a further year for ALS (usually after road experience) where A&P, patho, pharmacology and the like are front loaded in BLS.

And not saying a 4yr degree wouldn't be better or that it couldn't be done better. Just curious about your take on things outside of the US.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.