Preventing Super Medic -itis ... ?

You have nothing to worry about, the fact that you asked the question proves you will not be one --- a supermedic would never ask for such advice. Just remember:

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Just because your paramedic book says it should be "this way" doesnt mean they dont do it a different way on the other side of the country, or in another paramedic book.

You have only scratched the surface, you dont know squat yet, if you dont believe me: discuss in depth the emergency conditions that can arise from Lupus, Sarcidosis, or Pulmonary Hypertension -- and the treatment of each.

Or this simple call: You have a young adult male who was recently diagnosed with the flu, this morning he awoke to find all of his neck muscles locked -- seriously, he cant move his head, the muscles are locked, whats your first best guess at a diagnosis ?

Use the golden rule, even to assholes, and you will be fine. EMS will keep you humble, assuming you work in an area where you actually run calls.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that not all Paramedics become that way.

All Paramedics started out as EMT's, like was said earlier. A good down to earth Paramedic will still do the basics. Doing vitals is not "under you" when you become a Medic.

Don't ask an EMT or someone else to do something that you wouldn't do yourself. Like nobody likes to clean up puke, but sometimes you have to. Don't leave it for someone else to do because you are the Paramedic and think you shouldn't have to. When you get that kind of attitude, it's time to put on the brakes.

If a Medic treats you badly while you are an EMT doesn't mean you can treat EMT's badly after you become a Medic. I learned that from the mistakes of others.

You can be proud of your accomplishments, just don't let that pride become a priority in your life or your mind. Also, never think you are the best at anything. There is always someone out there that is smarter and better than you.

Some simple words of advice from an old school paramedic.....

It takes about a year to really get comfortable and confident in the back of the truck. Use that time to listen and learn. It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and prove it. Ask questions. Research diagnosis and treatment you don't understand or have never heard of.

After 24 years I still learn something new every shift. When treating a patient and you "think I should...."

you probably better. The first pulse you check should be your own. I've never got in trouble for over-treating a patient.......But under-treat and see what happens!! Establish good, trusting relationships with the ED staff and doctors you deal with. Gaining their trust and respect will go a long way when calling for orders, etc. I think a lot of medics, new and old, have lost site of the fact that this job is about taking care of people, young or old,dirty or clean, short, tall, fat or skinny. This job is not about us. Not wanting to make the routine nursing home runs or dialysis transfers is a sure sign that maybe you picked the wrong job. Yes, we all love the truama or complicated medical calls, but it's all about taking care of people. As long as you ALWAYS place the patients best interest first, you'll do fine.

Good advice has been presented. However, with all that being said, just remember that you will not please all the people all the time.

There will always be people that, no matter what you do or say, will always regard you as a "para-god". Nothing can or will change this. You could be the nicest person in the world and they will still try to be down on you in this manner.

You must learn to ignore it. You must learn that the people who treat you this way are either jealous of your level/position, so completely ignorant of what's going on that they feel the need to lash out or they're so insecure in their own position that they feel name calling is the only way to take the focus off of them.

It sounds like you're on your way to avoiding the whole mess. Keep in mind the advice of many of the above and you'll be fine. Just do not be surprised when, no matter how hard you try to avoid it, some bonehead calls you that. Remember, chances are pretty good they have no idea what they're talking about.

-be safe

Obviously someone hasn't taken the time to get to know Mike. Mike is absolutely right. There will always be people who are threatened by confidence and intelligence, and you will NEVER please everyone. As long as the majority of your coworkers don't take offense to you, you're doing fine. There will always be personality issues and clashing personalities, no matter where you go, and some people will just plain not like you for no good reason.

Crotchity, you're an idiot. Sorry, it just had to be said.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You are welcome to your opinion, and i have been called worse, but the fact of the matter is, there is always someone who gives the rookie a hard time, but if you have several people calling you paragod at your workplace, YOU IS ONE.

You can be confident and intelligent without being condescending or argumentative.

It's kind of like the medic who get his panties in a wad and goes bullistic everytime he finds that the nursing home nurses have put a patient on a NRB at 4L/min. The Paragod way to handle the situation is to be demeaning (althoug paragods usually call it educating) to the nurses, roll your eyes and let your body language say "my god you are an idiot".

If you have several people in your workplace calling you paragod, you might want to alter your "education" methods.

P.S. to Eyedawn, you are right, I do not know him, but the people who work with him everyday and know him best, seem to think he is a paragod, who am i to question their observations ?

There will always be people that, no matter what you do or say, will always regard you as a "para-god". Nothing can or will change this. You could be the nicest person in the world and they will still try to be down on you in this manner.

You must learn to ignore it. You must learn that the people who treat you this way are either jealous of your level/position, so completely ignorant of what's going on that they feel the need to lash out or they're so insecure in their own position that they feel name calling is the only way to take the focus off of them.

It sounds like you're on your way to avoiding the whole mess. Keep in mind the advice of many of the above and you'll be fine. Just do not be surprised when, no matter how hard you try to avoid it, some bonehead calls you that. Remember, chances are pretty good they have no idea what they're talking about.

Without a doubt. Most cases where the "paragod" label is served up are the result of the insecurity of the name-caller, not the attitude of the medic.

I am going to open up about myself a little more on this public forum than I normally would (by my own choice this time...(the previous time was something that had to do with Sphincter Velocity......only certain persons will get that.... do not worry if you are not one of them :lol: ))

Without a doubt. Most cases where the "paragod" label is served up are the result of the insecurity of the name-caller, not the attitude of the medic.

Everyone who posted before me gave good advice. I think the biggest thing going for you is you do not want to be "that" guy (or gal). Knowing what you do not want to be and working to improve yourself will help keep you from being a true "paragod." The sad truth is, someone will label you as one, more than likely. Most of the time, persons who get the nickname "paragod" do so because of their own insecurity, as Dust said.

My advice for you is to continue what you are doing, that is, being aware of what you could become, but do not let that interfere with your leadership when you are finally handed the reins. Letting people run over you because you do not want to be perceived as a "paragod" is not good. When it comes to your patient, ambulance, and whatever you are responsible for, be a leader!

As a no0b paramedic, this has probably been my biggest challenge. I was labeled a paragod during my full-time new employee training (transitioning from part-time to full-time). I was labeled "paragod" on the second day! I have not found out who called me such, but an administrative person brought it to my attention. They told me just so I could be aware of it and work on it. But..... anyone who knows me, knows I am one of the nicest "good" people around. (Yeah Yeah, I know, if I am tooting my own horn, I am probably lying, but not this time :) ) So the question remains, why was I called such. My best guess is that the person was insecure about herself.

So when I was handed the reins and placed in charge of an ambulance and patient care, I worried about being a paragod. As such, it was easy for me to be non-argumentative and compliant to the suggestions of my partner, just so I do not start a conflict and then have to become a 'paragod' to do what is right. It took me a little bit of time to realize what I was doing wrong. My patient care is fine, but ambulance operations and the interaction on calls between my partner and I are hindered. I finally realize that in my plight to be an "easy going friendly in no way shape or form of a paragod" paramedic, that I was losing my reins as the leader in guiding how things are supposed to be done on calls. Now I have to play catch up and set things right.

What I am getting at is that there is a difference in being a paragod and being a leader. Paragods are insecure in themselves, or just plain @&&holes. A leader though will make the calls during an emergency. Being a leader requires a sense of presence and authority that is not ment to be demeaning, but just straightforward and simple to get the job done.

I do not know if you will have the same problems or situations that I am currently in, but being aware of what could go wrong will hopefully be helpful to prevent it from happening to you. Good Luck !:thumbright:

A good manager would discipline such disruptive, disrespectful, and morale damaging name-calling just as s/he would discipline any other similar misbehaviour. As a manager, I would not tolerate that anymore than I would tolerate hostility or bigotry. It is contrary to good order and productivity, and ultimately to patient care. First time I hear someone calling a fellow employee a "paragod", they're getting three days off without pay to get their heads straightened out. There will be no next time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.