Preventing Super Medic -itis ... ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like, after three pages, you guys are finally coming to realise the same thing we always conclude from this discussion.

Paragods only exist in systems with EMTs. Therefore, they are a figment of the EMTs imagination. Get rid of EMTs and you will have no more paragods. Problem solved.

But then who would save the medics?

Love you dust, but i cant go along with the extinction of EMTs, maybe we should add a class to the paramedic curriculum on professional behavior and anger management. Hey thats a good idea for Medical School as well, how many times have you seen a Physician totally lose it, and curse out his staff ? My wife worked in several doctor's offices and you wouldnt believe the stories of unprofessional behavior she shared with me. Maybe if we catch them early, we can fix or modify their behavior.

But I think you are on to something there dust, if you only paired them with veteran medics, they would lose that paragod attititude real quick. I think being allowed to ride with EMTs that may not be able to question their decisions and point out their errors only bolsters the attitude.

I'm not for the extinction of EMTs. I just believe they have no place on an emergency ambulance. They are appropriate as first responders, and nothing more. Having worked for many years in EMS organisations that did not utilise EMTs, I have observed that the so-called "paragod" syndrome does not exist in the absence of EMTs. Obviously, that means that EMTs are the cause of the problem. If you are serious about eliminating the problem, then the solution is clear.

Too late to add to that last post, but I want to note that you have hit upon a very valid point. The specific pairing of new medics with basic EMTs (of any experience level) is the prime subset of the problem I noted. Any agency that routinely does so sucks. As you astutely observe, it's just asking for trouble on many levels, not the least of which being friction between your crews.

Too late to add to that last post, but I want to note that you have hit upon a very valid point. The specific pairing of new medics with basic EMTs (of any experience level) is the prime subset of the problem I noted. Any agency that routinely does so sucks. As you astutely observe, it's just asking for trouble on many levels, not the least of which being friction between your crews.

First off, DD, Congrats on 10,000 posts. =D>

I totally agree with you about a new medic paired with an EMT. Now I can see a veteran Medic, a new Medic and an EMT-A/I as a crew, but not paired up. Even though a new Medic has been an EMT, worked their way up, have a couple of years in the field already, etc. , When they become a Medic, they are still "new". It would be hard to determine for how long they should be supervised, depends on the new Medic's performance, call volume, which skills have they used and how often in the field, and I could go on. But I won't. This has already become longer than I planned to.

the so-called "paragod" syndrome does not exist in the absence of EMTs. Obviously, that means that EMTs are the cause of the problem.

I wholeheartedly believe this statement to be true. In my experience the ones labeling a "Paragod" are cocky know-it-all EMT's. Even as a first year student I have been called a paragod just for asking to look at a pt's 12 lead at the recieving hospital, or looking up a med in the CPS in the rig.

In my experience, if you are not an EMT, and you show that even for a second around someone who has been an EMT for a long time, you will be labeled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.